3 Week Old Chicks---Munching on Greens?

Anon112

Songster
6 Years
Apr 15, 2018
I have some chicks who are about 3 weeks old (they will be exactly 3 weeks on Tuesday). My plan was, for the first time ever, to raise them outside from the get go. Thanks to both me and another pet having some serious medical issues, that did not happen and I had to start them in a little chick coral in the house.

Yesterday I set up a space for them in what I call my "quarantine" coop. It's a small coop with 1/2 inch hardware cloth all around (including underneath so nothing can tunnel in). I was most nervous at first about the temperature. I have a brooder plate inside a large tupperware that is on its side, with a towel covering most of the front (so it keeps it from being drafty, but they can get out if they want). I got up last night at like 1am, 4am, then 6am to check on them, and they seemed to be doing well. Just some conversational cheeps when they saw the light from my flashlight and heard my voice, and this morning they were scampering around and seemed to be in good spirits/energy.

But today I have a new question/concern: there are some grasses/plants growing around and even a little into the coop. The chicks have been taking bites of the leaves/buds/seeds. Is this okay? They have been eating well of the starter feed I give them. They have fresh water and plenty of chick grit. Is it okay to let them graze on the greens? My initial thought was yes: they have grit and if they were "in the wild," they'd probably be snacking on grasses/plants. But then this other part of me worries that they don't have a momma hen to tell them what to eat or how much. I had visions of tiny, impacted crops.

So do I clear out the greens from around the coop? Or is it safe to let them snack?

Thank you all so much for the replies! This is my first time raising chicks outside, and I also haven't raised chicks in a few years. I read several threads---here and in other places--about raising them outside and was very inspired, but it has introduced some new elements/worries for me.

Back
Top Bottom