30 weeks and counting...

Got the first egg from the new flock on Monday, two days before their 30 month birthday. Got one or two all week.

Hang in there.

I think my Chanteclers are late bloomers. The last flock also started laying late.

Wayne

Last edited:
Quote:
Wayne, I'm sure you mean 30 weeks rather than 30 months.

Still, whenever I see people say they wait a long time for their pullets to lay, I have to wonder what they are feeding them. A tuff environment could delay maturity. But, my suspicion is that they aren't getting enuf protein . . . especially production breeds.

We are tempted to spoil them with food they like but they just about HAVE to have, at least, a 13% protein diet. An egg is 13% protein and a hen needs a little more nutrients available in the feed equivalent to 2 eggs to make ONE.

In other words, she needs about 6 ounces of 13% protein feed daily to make a 13% protein egg that weighs 2 ounces. Protein goes (& must go) to her maintenance. Surplus can be turned into an egg. If she doesn't get any surplus or fails to eat enuf and gain it that way, we can't expect any eggs.

And, replacing protein with carbohydrates doesn't work. Sure, the yolk is high in fat but that egg white is nearly perfect animal protein. And, the hen can't assemble it out of carbs.

(Now watch, this current batch of pullets in my coop will freeload until they are 30 weeks, too.
wink.png
) It may be possible that they do this deliberately and you can ignore all notions expressed above.

Steve

Well I have 2 ameraucana's that I bought from Ideal and they are over 9 months old and we still have not got an egg from them. they layer pellets have plenty of greens I make sure of that I even go to the store and buy them for them during the cold months, but still no eggs they will be a year old dec. the 7th.

digitS' :

Wayne, I'm sure you mean 30 weeks rather than 30 months.

Steve

tongue.png
Yep, 30 weeks but it sure seemed like 30 months of goofing off.

Good advice about protein. The laying mash they've been getting for a while is 16%. They would also get a handful of cracked corn and whatever other goodies they find during their "free-range" time after work and on weekends.

Got 3 eggs Saturday from the seven birds so looks like they're getting with the program.

Wayne​

Back
Top Bottom