31/2 week old meat chicks seem cold....

ccr

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Hi all,

I have raised meat birds before and never had the problems I have had this time. I have lost 17 I think - just lost 5 this morning.

We are having colder weather than usual right now - still frosting overnight - so I have three heat lamps instead of the usual two on them. By now, I usually have the heat lamps off during the day and only on at night if they need it. However, this time, they all look so cold....I have turned one off during the and if it is particularly warm I'll turn them all off. No matter if I have them all on or not - they hall huddle under each heat lamp - if they are off they huddle together in one corner. They look cold and yet they have almost all of their feathers in!

Should I just keep all the heat lamps on am and pm until the weather warms up? I usually start letting them out on warm days now onto pasture...I did open the door for them today as it is sunny and warm, but they are all huddled under the heat lamps not budging.

This is the most I have ever lost in a batch - I usually have great success with them!

Ideas????? I need advice!!!

Get yourself a thermometer and set it under one of the lamps see just how warm it is. Try feeding them some warm oatmeal and heat them from the inside out. Like you said they are cold. Also I too am still frosting I layered my bedding with straw on bottom and shavings on top it has seemed to help. Hope these suggestions help a little. Good luck

Thanks for the reply! So, do you think I should delay letting them out? They have such short lives to begin with, I like to see them have as much time as possible out in the grass and sun!

I have the door open for them today, but as I said, none of them want out. I have turned one of the three heat lamps off for the day and as the sun seems to be disappearing behind clouds, I will most likely close the door soon.

I am wondering if I am harming them by keeping the heat lamps on during the day as I am not hardening them off at all - so at night, when it really is cold, they are suffering more?? Does that make sense?

Keep the suggestions coming!

Last edited:
meat chickens still need to be kept warm 70 to 80 degrees until they are fully feathered at around 7 to 8 weeks I just turned ours off and they will be 8 week on monday.They should be spread out or laying in small groups.

Well I'm still losing chicks. They are 4 weeks old on Wednesday, pretty much fully feathered and still dying. I hear a lot of sneezing among them, they do have ample ventilation and new shavings everyday (I do not remove any, just add more) . I have witnessed one die - very violent death - gasping for air, then many spasms, then death.

What is causing this????????????

did you call the hatchery you got them from? Did you get them vacines?I would put them on antibotics.Maybe the shavings dust?are you using pine?ceder is bad,I only use pine every other week.I'm doing the deep litter.I hope you can figure it out.

Aw, man. I had mixed a bit of cedar in with the pine bedding a few days ago and today I lost a chick. Is it possible I have poisoned my babies?

See what I get for trusting the guy at the feed store?

i have heard of people adding a little cadar to the pine to help with the smell....however i dont recomend it....if you do want to, i would advise only when they are older and have good coop ventilation. DEFINATLY take you chicks off the cedar and replace with all pine!
wink.png
good luck you should be fine now

Back
Top Bottom