31/2 week old meat chicks seem cold....

Hi everyone,

Nope, I dont have any cedar in my shavings - it actually is hard to get cedar shavings here and our property has a creek running through it and they will not deliver cedar shavings as it can kill fish in the creek.

I am beginning to think that perhaps I am just paying for not getting them at the right temperature right away when they were younger. I knew I would have problems later, but wasnt expecting this many losses. I got the third heat lamp in as quickly as I could which was all I could do.

I have noticed some diarrhea too among them ....sometimes when it rains it pours!

I have read you can give them yogart to help.I also read something about taking their water away and replacing it with milk for a couple of days.It was in one of the more well known books but I can remember which one.

It sounds like your feeding them too much. Are you feeding them 24 hours / day?

If so what you need to do is take them off of the night feeding schedule. Feed on a 12 hour on and 12 hour off schedule. Time of feeding is up to you but be consistent. For example if your going to feed from 7:00 am take feed away at 7:00 at night.

In your situation I would try feeding at night. Start your schedule at 7:00 p.m and feed them all night. This way they will get the warmth from the lights and the warmth from the food as digestion creates internal heat. Then take the feed away at 7:00 a.m. Let them range outside all day, let them use the sun to warm up as this will due a better job than the heat lamps will. If it's rainy, cold, or real windy leave them inside.

Problem is that when you buy chicks from hatcheries that do not specialize in broiler and do not own their own breeding stock you get different lines of broilers. Some broilers can hanle a 24 hour feeding cycle but most cannot. This explains why your luck was great one batch but not so good on this one.

What your chicks are doing are having heart attacks. They will appear listless and cold for a few days. Then they will start gasping for air and start fipping around in a violent movement.

If your weather is below 50 during the day the chicks are probably stressed out and have Coccidiosis too. Make sure your feed in the first two weeks are medicated so it get's them off to a good start. If the diahrea is a pasty brown/tan it's Coccidiosis. Another thing n the feed is to up the protien to about 22-24 % if you can't get a broiler ration with that high of protein go with a turkey grower.

Thanks Brunty_Farms for all your information! These birds were all vaccinated for Coccidiosis and Mareks - so it shouldnt be that. As they were vaccinated, they did not get medicated feed. I have been told by Rochester too (the hatchery I got them from) that it is heart attacks. However, I have them rationed for feed - they only get fed am and pm and they are rationed on the amount they get.

I am working on getting them all out during the day this week and in at night with the heat lamps. They all still look cold and I have lots a couple more, but the weather is milder and they have to get out and get some fresh air!

Try giving them full choice feed for 12 hours straight.....I never let mine run out untill dark. Try it and see if it helps, but don't let them have feed in their down time.

Good Luck,

Jeff Brunty

Back
Top Bottom