4 1/2 week old Barred Rock/Australorp Chick, Pullet?

KristenRae

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
NE Wisconsin
Here are photos of "Dime", a Barred Plymouth Rock and Australorp cross. She feathered out before the other two White Rocks she hatched with (hatched on 6/19/11), and I was pretty confident she was indeed a she until I noticed her comb start to change color... Dime is one of my first chicks. What do the chicken experts think? Is Dime a she? Or is it too early to tell?
95096_dsc02162.jpg

95096_dsc02165.jpg

95096_dsc02158.jpg

I would say it is not a barred rocks- or if it is it is a mix. The feathers look similar, but not quite right for a pure BRs. I would watch it for a roo- the comb is quite large for a 4 week old (pullet)....

Do you know which parent was which? If the barred rock was the momma, you have a sex-link and it would be a boy. If the barred rock was the daddy, there's no telling. I do think the color looks like a pullet, being that dark, but then again that's a fair amount of comb so young and the legs are pretty thick.

I am not for certain, but I think the father was a barred rock and mother was an australorp. Until the comb started changing this last week, I was convinced I had a pullet, but it sounds like you agree that she is looking more like a he:-(

I have raised both BR and Australorp...if it were one or the other I could tell you most certainly, but a mix...tricky!

Pretty good sized comb though...I am going roo....but won't bet a penny on it!

Sorry

idunno.gif

Hey Lady,

I was looking through posts and I saw this one and recognized that chick. LOL! I am really leaning towards male. You should hop over to the Wisconsin thread and join in there's a lot of neat people on there and a few from the GB area as well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom