4 hour old chick cant flip over when on its back

Henschickspups

Songster
Apr 3, 2023
Little guy just hatched 4 hours ago. He (or she) is missing a toe on the right foot. Can't really stand up, and every time she flips onto her back, her legs sort of spasm and then she just... quits. Her eyes close, and she starts taking on a dead chick pose. I have her in a little bowl right now, but she's even flipping over in that!

Possibly related, her breathing seems to be 3-4 times faster than the other chick that hatched right after her.

I did move her to the brooder so I don't have to keep opening the incubator to flip her right side up.

Other than that, she's pecking, she can manage to get around.

Little guy just hatched 4 hours ago. He (or she) is missing a toe on the right foot. Can't really stand up, and every time she flips onto her back, her legs sort of spasm and then she just... quits. Her eyes close, and she starts taking on a dead chick pose. I have her in a little bowl right now, but she's even flipping over in that!

Possibly related, her breathing seems to be 3-4 times faster than the other chick that hatched right after her.

I did move her to the brooder so I don't have to keep opening the incubator to flip her right side up.

Other than that, she's pecking, she can manage to get around.
It could be a balances issue, wich can possibly be fixed by making her a chick chair.

What is a chick chair?

After moving her, I also noticed her belly is very soft. I may be imagining it, but I snapped a quick photo of her navel. I'm not sure of it's ok or not.

Attachments

• 20230406_182708.jpg
    20230406_182708.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 8
That's common. A chick chair is a contraption that keeps the chick upright.
Awesome! We did see her standing on her own for a bit earlier. She's also managed to stop flipping on her back, mostly by sleeping. I'm going to keep an eye on her tonight, but I'm hoping I just managed to worry a tad to soon. Thank you for your help

Awesome! We did see her standing on her own for a bit earlier. She's also managed to stop flipping on her back, mostly by sleeping. I'm going to keep an eye on her tonight, but I'm hoping I just managed to worry a tad to soon. Thank you for your help
Ok. If you need to make one all I did was cut two holes in the toe end of a sock, and tape it over a solo cup. It is optional to tape little medicine cups to it for food and water access while in the chair.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom