4 week old ducklings w/ 7 week old chicks?

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
My 50 '7 week old' chicks are outside already in their new coop and have been doing nicely. I added 2 '11 week old' chicks to their coop and they are doing nicely too (as the 2 '11 weekers' were getting beat up in the adult pen-those adult hens are nasty!) So now I have to move my 6 '4 week old' ducklings outside to the chick pen-how best to do this? They are used to being outside everyday-but we move them inside to their lighted brooder box at night. They are getting harder and harder to move like that. They stay in a dog pen (about 6'X6" covered with wire fencing so no nasty hawks can get them.)
Are they old enough to put outside and will they be OK with the 52 young chickens? Do chicks (mostly all pullets and a few cockerals) peck ducklings? How should I do this? They'll have an indoor place to go at night with the young chickens, but its not heated and lighted at all.
Lisa

Egg-cellent website!
smile.png
Thank you! I have 3 Blue Swedish (but I guess 2 will be the black phase) and 3 Cayugas. Its weird, b/c I asked the gal at the feedstore for 3 Blue Swedish and she grabbed the light one (blue?) and 2 dark ones. Then 3 grabbed 3 all black ones-Cayugas. They are all cute , but I really did want 3 all blue swedes. Whatever....I have an adult Blue Swedish female and an adult Black "blue" Swedish drake.

I will try to figure out a separate thing to keep the ducklings in inside of the big pen, so they can all see each other. and maybe a light with low wattage hooked up to that for them at night for a week or so.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom