40 Wild Canadian Geese

Bunny21

Hatching
Aug 19, 2021
We have a 12 acre ranch, that has a large pond and fountain. This is our 2nd full summer here and have a family of Canadian geese that raise their goslings here both years. Once the goslings learn to fly, they fly off and return with 30 or 40 more geese. I know they're a territorial species, but there are a couple of geese that seem to be ostracized from other flocks/families. I feed them collectively throughout the day, in small clusters, having to mediate/ intervene the fighting and try to specifically feed the ones being out-casted. Some of the families make it difficult for them to eat or hang out together by the pond. So far my interventions are helping them to accept one of them, a little, but what can I do to ensure they are not left alone or mistreated by the other geese families??

I've read on here, to separate the aggressive gander or to clip a certain part of their wings but these are wild, not domesticated and isolating or putting a few together in a pen, for a couple of days for them to get acclimated, is not possible. Thank you for any advice! :)

Last edited:
You can do nothing, unless you want to try to chase away the more aggressive family groups. They are wild geese and some families are much more territorial and aggressive than other families. That's life for Canada geese.

P.S. Family bonds weaken as the warm weather seasons end. If you have cold weather where you are, there should no longer be any group attacking in the fall, only individual geese attacking. I don't know what it is like in places with no fall or winter weather.

Back
Top Bottom