5 wk old barred rock/cochin mix. male? female?

ashncarson

Songster
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
Reno County, Kansas
Here is one of our new little chicks, His/Her mom is a barred rock, dad is a black cochin. Currently right at 5 weeks, we just got them 2 nights ago!

Any ideas? This is my first time owning chickens, from what I have read is that his comb does seem to be redder for a male. He was a last minute decision to take him/her and try our luck!

Thanks....I might post all of the others as well

Actually, this cross (black cochin male over barred rock female) makes sex link chicks. All the males will be barred, all the females non-barred and likely solid black. Your little guy is male. You can sex all the chicks from this cross the same way.

Actually, this cross (black cochin male over barred rock female) makes sex link chicks. All the males will be barred, all the females non-barred and likely solid black. Your little guy is male. You can sex all the chicks from this cross the same way.
Interesting. The rest are cochin/ameraucana mix. I copided/pasted the photos I posted the other day in a group. #5 is the one I already asked about!

chick #1 chick #1 - also known as Twlight Sparkle
chick #2 chick #2
chick #3 chick #3
chick #4 chick #4 (the first photo is not the best)
chick #5 chick #5

At what age do roos start getting more of the pointed feather on the back end? Is is the area that is still fluffy?
Here is one that was guessed as a female, she is the largest of all the birds. They are now about 5 weeks 1 day old, give or take a day.

Here is the whole group, in their small outdoor temporary pen.

Roosters get sex feathers from 12-20 weeks, just depends on the breed. That's why comb development is more accurate at a young age.

Back
Top Bottom