5-year-old hen crowing!

TXchickmum

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Apr 21, 2012
North Texas
I have a lovely Black Australorp hen that is in her fifth year. She has been one of my very best layers! Over the past month or so, she has begun crowing (and still lays). -not a full-blown rooster crow, but close enough that she will definitely draw attention to our flock. (We are permitted hens, legally, but no roos.) This afternoon I observed her hop atop an outdoor roost, throw her neck out, and belt out three real beauties in a row. She is definitely the most dominant hen in our flock; top in the pecking order. How common is this? Suggestions??

From what I've seen is certainly not uncommon. She's just trying to provide the rooster lead in the presence of a lack of rooster. It would seem it is certainly more common then not in rooster less flocks.

I guess it could certainly cuase an issue with animal regulation, but as long as she still looks to be a hen you should be fine. You just might feel harassed by animal control... I'm not site how it works or if it's true but I've seen some posts and hens that will even start to develop rooster feathers and eventually stop laying eggs too. That of course would be an issue as you can't really prove she's a hen and you could end up with fines or having to remove her.

Personally my husband and I have joked about get a rooster and either de vocalizing him or trying one of those rooster collars... I would love to have a rooster. But never the less we can only have 6 hens no roosters and I'm already over with my added chicks. Gleefully I can get my ranch soon. Good luck with your hen

I have a five-year old Speckled Sussex hen who has been crowing for three years. This is irrespective of having roosters present in the flock. She crows regardless because she enjoys listening to herself crow.

She very dominant. When she walks, she has "body language" that says, "Don't mess with me!" She's tough and will beat up anyone who happens to be in her path.

Currently there's a rooster in my flock, but Linda isn't stifled at all by his presence or when he crows. She just does her own crowing every morning. It sounds very close to how a rooster sounds, but with a kind of "yodeling" at the end.

Well, I guess I've heard of everything! I suppose we'll just let her be. -hopefully nobody will complain about the noise. She's a special gal to our family - been with us a long time.

Back
Top Bottom