5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Here are my eggs so I can enter the best hatch rate contest. They're shipped, so I don't have much hope of winning, but what the heck?

I just got totally impatient and couldn't wait until tomorrow night to candle. I know, I know! Most are shipped but I am just learning so much with this process and really fascinated with the day-to-day changes! Today is day 6. My 13yo is sick and not enjoying this too much the past few days, but surprisingly dh (who hates birds) is really interested...asking me questions about breeds and encouraging me and even talking about a spring hatch. Who *IS* this man???
ep.gif

So I saw 23/32 embryos about the size of the end of a pencil eraser...some bigger! Two of my light browns are clear. We have two green eggs and one is from our EE named "Brainless" who is lowest in the pecking order. Baby Brainless was going strong but I don't see it anymore, unless it is hiding under the air cell now. There is still veining, but I would be so sad to not have a Baby Brainless.
hit.gif
The other six I can't see because they are Marans, but there was a lighter Marans egg with a babe inside!

So we have:
12 CCL/super blue layers
9 Marans or 8 Marans + an OE (I need to ask DMRippy)
11 barnyard mixes-RIR over----> 3 mystery (BO or red prod), 3 BR, 2 red prod, and 2 EE.

wee.gif
I am super happy, but a little anxious now because I planned it expecting to hatch 8-10 and now wondering what I would do with that many chickies! Panic time thinking about how much they will eat! Medicated or non-medicated chick food? Should I order gro gel online since they don't have it at the feed store...or do they not need it? And will I get attached to the roos and not want dh to BBQ them? And do I really have everything I need for my brooder? What if they knock over the water while nobody is home?

Is this normal to start stressing about everything???
barnie.gif

Here are my eggs so I can enter the best hatch rate contest. They're shipped, so I don't have much hope of winning, but what the heck?

Oh, Pyxis...those are DMRippy eggs...I'm sure they will be fine! The ones she shipped me are doing better than my own eggs!!! Cute bator...it looks like you have a stereo speaker set up for their listening pleasure.
clap.gif

I can't find the discussion in this thread regarding temps at different levels for the Genesis HB 1588. Can someone help me out with this?
At about 15 hrs after set there are three temp readings. This temp reading has held consistent for 6 hrs.
Digital reading via probe set at wire mesh level = 101
Thermometer set on turning tray = 100
1588 digital reader = 100.1

Two questions:
Is there really going to be a temperature discrepancy of an entire degree from the top to bottom?
Is this temp too high?

First time hatchers over here - thanks so much for all the hand-holding!

Oh, Pyxis...those are DMRippy eggs...I'm sure they will be fine! The ones she shipped me are doing better than my own eggs!!!  Cute bator...it looks like you have a stereo speaker set up for their listening pleasure. :clap

Lol, do you mean the black rectangle? That's my thermometer/hydrometer. Or if you mean the little probe hanging down, that's actually the temp probe to the super accurate reptile thermometer that regulates my temperature.

I can't find the discussion in this thread regarding temps at different levels for the Genesis HB 1588.  Can someone help me out with this?
At about 15 hrs after set there are three temp readings.  This temp reading has held consistent for 6 hrs.
Digital reading via probe set at wire mesh level = 101
Thermometer set on turning tray = 100
1588 digital reader = 100.1

Two questions:
Is there really going to be a temperature discrepancy of an entire degree from the top to bottom?
Is this temp too high?

First time hatchers over here - thanks so much for all the hand-holding!

Is this a still air incubator? If so you just need to be concerned about the temperature at the top of the eggs, and you want it to be 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

So did i eat a baby chick tonight? Not sure if pic uploaded on phone wondering if egg is fertile laid today and froze so bulls eye didnt grow none

Last edited:
Cacklejoy is that leaves in your bator on right side? On phone so hard to tell.
JLaw, since all the normal thermometers were out of stock, my husband brought home one with a picture of frogs and vines. It will do until we get a couple med. grade ones. So, no leaves, just pictures of leaves.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom