5week old chicks winter

Wait another 3 weeks until they are quite fully feathered out. You are not that far south of me.. so weather is similar. Its is a cold spell for the next few days anyways. When it gets slightly warmer next week,, :idunno as the weatherman promised, try some daytime supervised introduction. Out doors in the run area, or free range. (whatever is your setup)
Then into secure brooder area, for the night. At 8 weeks, chickens should be feathered out to handle moderate cold.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Wait another 3 weeks until they are quite fully feathered out. You are not that far south of me.. so weather is similar. Its is a cold spell for the next few days anyways. When it gets slightly warmer next week,, :idunno as the weatherman promised, try some daytime supervised introduction. Out doors in the run area, or free range. (whatever is your setup)
Then into secure brooder area, for the night. At 8 weeks, chickens should be feathered out to handle moderate cold.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
ok , ill wait another 3 weeks! thanks

This is setup dependent. What is your setup? My chicks start out, outside which is about my setup. At 5 weeks they can see the bigs and the bigs can see them, separated by hardware cloth windows and door inside my coop. The littles side has a MHP - heating pad draped over a wooden box to keep them warm in the same temps that you have. If you can't provide a heat source outside however, you should probably keep them inside for just a few more weeks as suggested already. GOOD LUCK!!

We have what used to be a sheep shed w corrugated metal around the outside, some small holes from age providing ventilation and light. We put up 2 walls and reinforced the outside and cattle door w hardwire. We'll be using the deep litter method and Im getting a solar powered lamp to put on the inside. Going to take them outside on daylight savings, March 12th. We live in east-northern CO, the rest of our flock is pretty well feathered out except the Brahmas. All roughly 5 weeks old now. Wish us all luck! 🐥🫶

Back
Top Bottom