5wk Chick with muted voice

biggmackk17

Hatching
Apr 15, 2024
One of our chicks chirp is much quieter than it used to be, she’s still making noises but it sound almost muted. She is the smallest, and always seems to be off doing her own thing and stays away from the other 3. I always thought she was just an oddball, but I’m starting to worry she might be sick. She acts fairly normal and happy but the muted voice has me a bit worried as it’s fairly recent.

Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

Can you get a video of her and how she sounds/moves along with the other chicks?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Where are you located in the world and how are the chicks housed?

This one is staying isolated from the others, are they bullying her from food/water?

Welcome To BYC

Can you get a video of her and how she sounds/moves along with the other chicks?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Where are you located in the world and how are the chicks housed?

This one is staying isolated from the others, are they bullying her from food/water?
Hey there! Here's a google drive link with a few videos and photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ip63CrkbDhOvtum3sYygoAND6sDM8IPw?usp=sharing
(if theres any touble viewing I can try upload to youtube, just need to find my old login)

We are in Hawaii, and they are currently indoors in a kiddie pool, and I let them roam around outside during the day.

There are videos with Moe (the chick in question) outside with the rest, the other 3 are always running around together and moe always stays away from the main group.

One of them in the brooder
One of just Moe so you can hear its voice

Ive kept and eye out and it eats and drinks without too much trouble, occasionally the largest one will bump it out of the way, but it will just move to the other side of the feeder and continue to eat, and from what ive noticed bullying hasnt been bad.

I included a photo of where they are housed, they are currently indoors in a kiddie pool, we change the hay out weekly.

I let them run around the front yard for an few hours twice a day. Weather is warm here, mid to high 70's F.

Cute!

I don't see or really hear anything concerning.
Are these from feral/gamefowl chickens that are in HI?

Yes, she's smaller, but she's moving well and foraging. Likely keeping a distance for a reason since she may be slightly weaker. If they are GF then they establish the order fairly quickly.

Her peeps are relatively pleasant and contented, I've heard this same type of muted peep from my American GF, it's sort of like the chick is soothing itself but also keeping in contact with the others. Could be this is actually a boy, but hard to tell. You'll know in a month or so.

If all are eating/drinking, poop looks good and they are not fighting (yet) then you're doing good.

Cute!

I don't see or really hear anything concerning.
Are these from feral/gamefowl chickens that are in HI?

Yes, she's smaller, but she's moving well and foraging. Likely keeping a distance for a reason since she may be slightly weaker. If they are GF then they establish the order fairly quickly.

Her peeps are relatively pleasant and contented, I've heard this same type of muted peep from my American GF, it's sort of like the chick is soothing itself but also keeping in contact with the others. Could be this is actually a boy, but hard to tell. You'll know in a month or so.

If all are eating/drinking, poop looks good and they are not fighting (yet) then you're doing good.
Great thanks for the reassurance,
Yes they are feral chickens that were abandoned at a little under a week old so we've been raising them. Its our first time with chickens so we've been a bit paranoid, so thanks for putting our mind at ease!

Back
Top Bottom