6 hens but get i get 9 eggs a day..?

Paige2213

Chirping
Feb 25, 2022
I have a small flock of 6 hens (I had a roo but he sadly passed protecting his girls. He was a old boy that took his job very seriously) we collect eggs twice a day. Once around 930 am and then again at 8-9 pm when I do lock up. When my roo was here we would get 4-6 eggs a day (2 of my girls just started laying in March so they weren't laying consistently) well now for the past month we've been getting 7-9 eggs a day. Any ideas on what is going on here? I have 1 hen that lays green eggs, 1 lays blue, 3 lay brown and, 1 that lays cream egg. I should only be getting 1 blue, 1 green, 3 brown and 1 cream. But we've been getting 2 green, 1 blue, 1 cream and 3-5 brown. ('Today was 2g, 1b, 1c, & 4brown so 8 eggs in total from 6 hen) sorry this is long and rambling on😅, im just trying to figure out whats going on as I'm typing this out. Any ideas of whats happening here is welcome lol in my head I've decided that they are over producing and when they have a big enough clutch, some will go broody and hatch out chicks to make their flock bigger ORRRRRR 👀👀👀 We have wild chickens that are doing a lay and run 😂 either one im fine with lmao someone help make this make sense 😂😂😂 thanks for reading this far and tia for any theories that you toss my way😂😂

Any jokers in the family that take eggs from the house to the coop? PBS had a special on eggs and said a 23 hour cycle of lay with holding an egg until morning and the next being ready to lay before dark the next day could happen, but that would not be something that would result in extra eggs for the total count.
Would stray chickens have access to your coop?

Any jokers in the family that take eggs from the house to the coop? PBS had a special on eggs and said a 23 hour cycle of lay with holding an egg until morning and the next being ready to lay before dark the next day could happen, but that would not be something that would result in extra eggs for the total count.
Would stray chickens have access to your coop?
No jokers 😂 but a stray chicken could have access to my coop. But I was mainly joking about that lol I do have a camera by the coop so if that were the case we'd see the strays coming and going lol

A silly idea, but I don't suppose you could have missed some eggs for a few days, and they built up?
And now you are finding them?
No my coop set up is real simple so you can't miss a egg and the girls all lay in the same box. We also collect twice a day so we don't forget one and run the chance if it going going bad and turning into a bomb lol. (I've heard WAAAAAY to many horror stories about exploding bad eggs lmao)

No my coop set up is real simple so you can't miss a egg and the girls all lay in the same box. We also collect twice a day so we don't forget one and run the chance if it going going bad and turning into a bomb lol. (I've heard WAAAAAY to many horror stories about exploding bad eggs lmao)
Just a thought, mine, especially babies, love scratching on the nest for some reason, or just toss up hay reinforcing a nest, maybe look and see if some get buried and unburied. You would be surprised how often it happens, because the eggs come back up to the surface soon enough.

Also, it is possible one could lay multiple a day, but i hear that it could be a sign of a issue if it’s THAT frequent. So let’s hope that isn’t the case (though i could be wrong.)

I have a small flock of 6 hens (I had a roo but he sadly passed protecting his girls. He was a old boy that took his job very seriously) we collect eggs twice a day. Once around 930 am and then again at 8-9 pm when I do lock up. When my roo was here we would get 4-6 eggs a day (2 of my girls just started laying in March so they weren't laying consistently) well now for the past month we've been getting 7-9 eggs a day. Any ideas on what is going on here? I have 1 hen that lays green eggs, 1 lays blue, 3 lay brown and, 1 that lays cream egg. I should only be getting 1 blue, 1 green, 3 brown and 1 cream. But we've been getting 2 green, 1 blue, 1 cream and 3-5 brown. ('Today was 2g, 1b, 1c, & 4brown so 8 eggs in total from 6 hen) sorry this is long and rambling on😅, im just trying to figure out whats going on as I'm typing this out. Any ideas of whats happening here is welcome lol in my head I've decided that they are over producing and when they have a big enough clutch, some will go broody and hatch out chicks to make their flock bigger ORRRRRR 👀👀👀 We have wild chickens that are doing a lay and run 😂 either one im fine with lmao someone help make this make sense 😂😂😂 thanks for reading this far and tia for any theories that you toss my way😂😂
I had 23 hens but got 25 eggs a day!

My Australorps used to lay twice a day some.
I have 3 girls approx 4-5 months old, a black Austrolorp, Welsummer and a Saphire gem ( at least that's what I was told) and for the last 3 days I've been getting 3 eggs. But today I got 4!! I was thinking all 3 started to lay because I had only 2 eggs for the last few weeks, sometimes one. But now I think one was laying 2 egg a day.
Is that possible?
I have only 3 hens in the coup. And no, I don't think I missed any eggs prior to this. I have noticed that they, or one of them, moves the eggs to one nesting box....because she moved a ceramic egg I placed in a different box. Do chickens exhibit this behavior? Move eggs around to another nesting box and lay more than once in a day?
Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom