7 month Australorp Rooster not crowing

Ranita36

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
I have a group of 10 Australorps from same clutch. At 7 mths. Only one rooster does not crow or mate where as the other roo does. He is healthy, not bullied and is happy. How long should I wait before I replace him?

He is probably not mature enough yet and or he is a bit intimidated by the other roo. While some cockerels of other breeds can start crowing at 8 or 10 weeks, Australorps are slow growing and can be late blooming in the egg laying and crowing department. If he is intimidated by the other roo he will be more submissive by not crowing or trying to mate. Eventually he should start crowing.

Got any photos? I love Australorps! ❤

Thank you so much for your reply! This is my first go 'round with raising chickens. I just find it very strange. He is larger, redder comb and struts more than my other roo! LOL No photo's but will make it a point to take some in the next few days.

Thank you so much for your reply! This is my first go 'round with raising chickens. I just find it very strange. He is larger, redder comb and struts more than my other roo! LOL No photo's but will make it a point to take some in the next few days.
With Chickens, size doesn't matter. :D The smallest of Chickens can be flock leaders and rule over birds twice their size. It all in the personality. Enjoy your flock! :)

Back
Top Bottom