7 weeks old- roo? Hen? I’m stumped!

SuperC

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2024
I’m stumped on the gender of the Orpington chick on the left; Marilla. I’ve had friends and family who have had chickens disagree on if she’s a Roo or hen and she is my fave, so the suspense is killing me. When I compare her comb to the other girls I have, her comb seems a bit bigger and gently pink, But all other photos I find online of Orpingtons at 7-8 weeks show much more red/prominant combs and obvious waddle's on the Roos. She was supposed to be a lavender, but as you can see, there is heavy buff coloration going on (with a black tail) but I love it. But she’s the only one I have with such unique coloring and so maybe the color of the comb goes along with it? Mrs Lynde is the other lavender I have but is a tad older and an obvious girl. I’m also open to believing that maybe she’s not an orpington due to feather shape and tail colors and such, but 🤷🏻‍♀️. I only know what I was told.

She’s the one with the “biggest” comb in the group, but has NO waddles. Legs are just as thick as all the other girls I have, I’ve rubbed all over and don’t feel any spur bumps starting. Personality she is fiesty occasionally with the others, but still hangs somewhere around #2
or #3 in the pecking order depending on the day. But she’s my most actively affectionate towards me, lays down right away when you pet her, and always wants love, so personality wise is very sweet. Her comb is pinker than the other chicks, but mainly when running around and exerting herself (like she was here).
But it’s my first chicks ever, and I’m desperately in love with them and trying to mentally prepare if any of them are boys. At what point do I know more? 8 weeks? Can anyone help?
IMG_8109.jpeg
IMG_8117.jpeg

The chick on the right definitely has unusual coloring! (S)he is pretty! I personally think it's a roo, because my two Orpingtons (Jubilee and Buff) definitely didn’t have that much color at eight weeks.
Hope this helps!

I added my Jenny (Jubilee O) at ten weeks and Viv (Buff O) at ten weeks for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3826.jpeg
    IMG_3826.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    707.7 KB · Views: 12
The chick on the right definitely has unusual coloring! (S)he is pretty! I personally think it's a roo, because my two Orpingtons (Jubilee and Buff) definitely didn’t have that much color at eight weeks.
Hope this helps!

I added my Jenny (Jubilee O) at ten weeks and Viv (Buff O) at ten weeks for reference.
Thanks for the photos! Most of my girls have tiny combs (even the ones without much of a tail yet) but Marilla is stumping me.
Tail was slow to come in, but is growing now. She’s the same age as other hens I have, but smaller. And the comb is more visable but not large and without waddles makes me wonder still. Emotionally I’m trying to assume male, but deeply wishing for a girl. (S)he really is super affectionate and has always been my shoulder loving buddy who wants cuddles, so I’m extra attached.

By the looks of it so far I would say male, but he is quite young. As he gets older we will be able to take a better guess.
Yes… that pesky waiting! 😆
Compared to my others, (s)he looks more roo- but compared to all the online photos of males at this age
(7+ weeks) everything looks much smaller and less red (& still no waddles!), so I’m waffling every day between “roo” & “pullet”. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom