Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Barb I had that happen will some ducks I kept decades ago. The Drakes messed up the eyelids of the hens so badly they couldn't see. It's one of those hard lessons I've learned about not keeping too many males.

I try not to get too attached to my outside cats, but it is hard. They have names for going to the vet, and names for at home.

Congratulations Jim on sleeping through the night. I occasionally only get up once and it's nice. Sleeping through the night is one of those things that I miss.

If I can make it through the day without a nap, I have a fair chance of getting 5 hours of sleep.
If I have to get up, I am up for the next few hours.
Barb, those kittens are going to hang around anyway, so they might as well be friendly.
they turn wild at a very young age.
the dentist visit was successful. I had a floride treatment, bubble gum flavored..
I never feel like doing anything after a Dr. visit.. seems like the whole day is shot.

Sleeping through the night? I vaguely remember doing that many years ago.

Lisa, three of my first four "unsexed" runner ducklings were male (and all got along fine). By the time I knew I had so many boys, I was only able to get one other female of an appropriate age. Strangely, my original girl seemed jealous of the newbie and would try to interrupt the boys and lead them away or seductively bob her head to get their attention. My problem drake is the last of the originals; the newer drake was sold as one of three female ducklings.

Last night, I was horrified to see the intact male cat mating the young mama; I was led to believe she wouldn't go into heat again this soon. An online search said otherwise, as did my own eyes.

I think a call to the Fort Dodge no-kill animal shelter is on today's to-do list. Last week, I called an area cat rescue, but -- no surprise -- they are volunteer and overwhelmed with what they already have.

Maybe the TV folks could announce when we will have a rare day when there's NOT going to be some kind of advisory or warning. The severe thunderstorm passed overnight (after waking me up at 11:14), but the flood warning is in effect until 1 p.m. Monday.

I am planning to visit Seed Savers tomorrow, although I don't know if or when the ground will ever dry up enough to plant anything.

I was planning to do that when the kittens were six weeks old and able to be weaned, as per my vet. Now, I don't know what to do.

On the good news front, one of my neighbors said this morning that she would take the kittens. Linda's property is on a less-traveled gravel road, not adjacent to the much-busier blacktop that runs along mine. Of course, coyotes are still a concern.

Ideally, I would like them all to become pampered and safe house cats. But, I may take her up on her offer. I've not yet been able to contact the local shelter to see if they will take them.

Today, I touched the kittens for the first time. One is definitely a tortoiseshell, like the mama. One seems totally black and one at least has white on its face and feet. They are Oh So Cute!

I am in, I think.
I have not been able to get on byc for a few days. I did some jockying around and hit on this mithod. idk how long it will last.
the problem is that I have to use my password to get back to the regular wa y. I don't know how to log in.
anyhow, I got the lawn mower going for Annie.
I drove it around a little to make sure every thing is working.
had to charge the battery .
got the shelf put together in the shop. have to make some brackets to hold it up.

I decided today to just plant the rest of my garden boxes, corn, green beans, chard, beets, carrots, squash. Hopefully by the time it comes up all risk of frost is over. We still will need to plant the bigger patch of corn, but that's currently waterlogged. Also have been harvesting asparagus starting this week. That is liking all the rain.

I drove over to Decorah yesterday for the annual plant sale at Seed Savers Exchange. I bought tomatoes, peppers, chives and some bunny tails for my deck planters. Got one of my all-time favorite tomatoes, Cherokee Purple.

Met up with Michael and one of his friends there, and we headed downtown for some shopping and lunch.

I had arranged for someone to take out the dogs midday; it's the first time I've spent most of an entire day away from home since November. Was relieved that all was well when I returned --everyone was alive and no eggs were broken (even though five of my clever youngest girls decided to lay all their eggs in a single nest box!).

Today, I'm hoping to plant the new stuff and the ones I've been shuttling in and out of the garage. No rain predicted today or tomorrow!!

With my riding mower out of commission, I will try to at least mow in front of the house this weekend with the electric mower -- much smaller, so much more work and with much more effort. 🙁 I can almost feel my muscles aching already!!

chickend are funny when it comes to using nests.
I had forty laying hens and ten nest boxes. there were four nests that never got used.
I finished the shelf in the shop today. somehow it became more elaborate than I had planned
(or need)

I lubricated the rider for Annie. the steering was getting stiff. Naturally the 3 in1 can was empty . so I temporarily sprayed it with WD40.
found the wire to the headlights was disconnected so I fixed that,. not that we need headlights, we have sense enough to quit before dark . lol

Congrats on the shelf. My projects are more elaborate in my mind, but end up more simple, based on my skill set.

So, you also don't need headlights on your riding mower?! I don't know if mine work because I've never had the urge to run the darned thing after dark.

However, as mine is still not running at all, I spent almost six hours using the little electric mower and got less than half of the property done yesterday. I was grateful every time the batteries ran down so I could take a break.

I used the "down time" to get all my Seed Savers and other plants in the ground. Good thing because I got up today to -- what else? -- more rain. Hope all those delicious heirloom tomatoes and peppers survive the weather and hungry bunnies and squirrels.

The mama cat seems to like holidays. She had 6 kittens on Earth Day and moved them on Mother's Day. At first, I was worried that I wouldn't know where she was taking them. But there was nothing to fear because she's moved them underneath the deck steps. It's much closer to where I feed her by the back door.

Calypso is definitely in heat again, and the kittens are only 3 weeks old. I had hoped to get her spayed before she made more babies. He's rarely wrong, but the vet had said it would be six weeks. 🙁

Back
Top Bottom