8 week old chick

Greeneyedgirll

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2024
My 8 week old chick has suddenly become aggressive! Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. I do have 2 small kids who like to hold them every now and then and just scared she might harm them 🙈
IMG_7254.jpeg

Often the first sign of a bird being a cockerel is that their comb and wattles come in early and darken to red quickly. Pullets (hen chicks) may get a large comb and wattles, but will not usually darken until they're ready to lay, at about 4-6 months.

Do you know what breed he is?

My 8 week old chick has suddenly become aggressive! Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. I do have 2 small kids who like to hold them every now and then and just scared she might harm them 🙈
Definitely a cockerel. Since you have littles and he's already being aggressive, you may need to rehome him, or send him to freezer camp.

Often the first sign of a bird being a cockerel is that their comb and wattles come in early and darken to red quickly. Pullets (hen chicks) may get a large comb and wattles, but will not usually darken until they're ready to lay, at about 4-6 months.

Do you know what breed he is?
I think he’s a Bantam… he was part of mixed eggs batch consisting of Bovans Brown, Brahma, Cream Legbar, Cuckoo Maran, Dekalb White, French Copper Maran, Light Sussex, 'Oliver Eggers' (farm’s own hybrid green egg layers) and Welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom