8 week old chicks out to the coop, but, heat or no heat?

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
We are just getting over a cold snap, highs in the low 30s,so I wanted to wait to put the 8 week old chicks out. We are still having nights in the 20s, daytime highs 40s-50s. Should I put a heat lamp in with them when I put them out? They have been in my basement that is not heated unless I have the wood stove going. I guess its in the high 50s down there. I have had a 100w light on them, and they do still sleep under it. Maybe put a heat lamp on them for a week or so? I plan on putting them out this weekend, Sat will be about 48 with snow? and Sun. about 50.
This is my 1st time doing winter chicks. I might have to rethink doing this again.

If they are acclimated, they will be fine. I raised chicks in 30F nights and took their lamp at 6 weeks. They were outside the entire time though.

I'd put them out, give them a 60W lamp for a night, then half a night, then take it out just to adjust them.

Great question as my 7 week old are getting feisty in their brooder in the coop. Guess its time to build a grow out pen in the coop just for them and wean them from the heat lamp. Currently highs of 60 and lows in the teens in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom