8 week old flock of 6, when do I switch from chick/grower feed?

Oh My Gosh, that is terrible. I am really new at this too, but I use common sense. I google everything, and read several articles. I was given a book called "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens". This book is very helpful, from raising to vetting, to feeding, breeding, and how to get the chicken you want for the purpose you want. I recommend the book to anyone, new or old at backyard chickens. It is like my chicken who developed Wry neck, it was horrible, I never want to see another chicken go through what she went through. Therefore, all my chickens (regardless of age) get Vit E and selenium, daily in their water. I choose to give it in the form of a powder to put in water. I give them a supplement in their water and be sure to provide # 1 grit to all chicks, they need it too. I use the following, I photo the label so you can see it has everything a chick could need. and a chicken too. Everyone gets it.... God bless you and a health flock ........
Merricks Blue Ribbon Poultry Electrolytes
Sodium, minimum .................................................. 4.0% Sodium,maximum.................................................. 4.8%
Potassium, minimum ............................................. 2.0%
Vitamin A, minimum ...............................................1,000,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D3, minimum ............................................. 150,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E, minimum ............................................... 750 IU/lb
Vitamin C, minimum ................................................5,250 mg/lb
Total Viable Bacteria, minimum ......................
. 9 Billion CFU/lb (from Bacillus subtilus, Enterococcus faecium,

Lactobacillus acidophilus) INGREDIENTS

Glucose, Sodium Chloride, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Aluminosilicate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supple- ment, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Selenium Y east, Calcium Iodate, Mineral Oil,Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product.

Product of the U.S.A.

Amount of Electrolyte Solution Desired

Amount of Electrolyte Powder Required

General Mixing Instructions for Larger Quantities:

Mix one 4 oz (113.5 g) packet in 37-1/2 gallons of water or 1 lb (454 g) in 150 gallons of water.

1 gallon (128 oz) 1 quart (32 oz) 1 pint (16 oz)

3/4 tsp (3 g)
1/8 to 1/4 tsp (0.8 g) Up to 1/8 tsp (0.4g)

Concentrated Dose for Larger Quantities:

Mix one lb or four 4 oz packets (454 g) in 25 gallons of water.

1 gallon (128 oz) 1 quart (32 oz) 1 pint (16 oz)

1-1/2 tbsp (18 g)
1 tsp, slightly rounded (4.5 g) 1/2 tsp, slightly rounded (2.25 g)

P ACKAGING

Product is available in 4 oz packs, shipped 30 packs per carton.

PRODUCT NO.

32648557...............................Carton: 30-4 oz packs

MERRICK'S, INC.

A Subsidiary of Merrick Animal Nutrition, Inc.

608-831-3440 800-MER-RICK (637-7425) FAX: 608-836-8943 www.merricks.com Middleton, WI 53562-0307 U

Last edited:
I give my chicks starter or starter / grower until they are about 8-10 weeks old ( when the bag gets empty). They go on Grower / developer until they start to lay, then ( again , when the bag gets empty) they go on layer feed. I have a container in the yard with compartments. I keep grit in one and oyster shell in another- they access it as needed. For the little chicks, I keep them on starter in the brooder- so they don't need grit. Once they graduate to the baby barn in the yard- they get chick grit (I keep it in a rabbit feeder in the pen) that they can access at will. I will let the littles out to free range when they are about 3 months old- keeping the door to the baby barn fixed so that the bigs can't get in, so they have a safe haven. I also built a safe haven out of cinder blocks in the yard- they can scoot into the opening but the bigs can't fit.

I plan to put my chicks in with the adults when they're 16 weeks. Should I mix the feed, or feed my adults starter until the babies start laying? This is confusing. I want everyone to get the best nutrition possible.

Feed unmedicated Start & Grow or buy an all-flock feed for everyone till they all lay and offer oyster shell in a separate container. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom