8 week olds - snow flurries!?

Oct 14, 2021
Help!

I put my fully feathered 8 week old speckled sussex chivks outside. They've been doing great! Today the forecast took a dive. (Forecast is attached). They seem to be loving it outside, even in the 40s. Do I need to bring them back inside for the night's in the 30s? Or are they sturdy enough to do well? Thanks for any advice!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220407-170349_WPSD Radar.jpg
    Screenshot_20220407-170349_WPSD Radar.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 8
They should be fine as long as they have a nice, draft free coop, and each other to snuggle.

If you think it will be extremely wretched, you could bring them in, but fully feathered and in 40 degree with out shivering sounds like they've hardened.

I presume they've been off heat lamp for some time?

LofMc

They have been off the heat lamp for at least two or three weeks. The coop has got a small hole (about 3in in diameter) at the top for ventilation. But no gaps elsewhere. I have one of those indoor/outdoor remote thermometers in the coop with them. It never dips below 40.

This morning everyone was healthy and happy. Im really hoping this is the last big cold snap. For their sake and mine. Lol I need some warm spring weather!

Thanks so much for the help and advice! I sent a pick of the coop (before it was finished) there is a door that closes on the inside.
20220403_084930.jpg

The way the coop is constructed there is ventilation from the bottom coming up through the ridges of the metal. I have hardware cloth covering so nothing can crawl inside.

It's also their temporary home. They will move into the big coop this weekend when I combine them with the big girls. They will be in a dog crate for the first week or so until they get used to where to roost. I've divided the chicken yard so they have been able to see each other but not interact for a week now. I've let them combine with supervision on several occasions. Only the occasional peck on the head here and there!

The big coop has plenty of ventilation (picture included).

I sure appreciate your concern. I'll modify the ventilation hole to enlarge it. It will be used for my "chicken jail" and sickness isolation coop going forward.

Thank you!!
20220220_164100.jpg

Back
Top Bottom