8x8 coop with 8x10 run - how many chicks?

tara7815

Songster
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
We will have mostly rhode island red with 2 or 3 bantams. How many would fit in this space happily?

Lol!
lol.png
We must have the same coop design in mind. Ours will be the same size run and coop. However, the inside area for the chickens will be a little less, so we can have an area for storing feet, etc. We're putting 9 in it. I researched and found that approx 2 sq ft per chicken is about right.

We have storage plans for the interior as well - but it will be up high on a shelf above the nesting boxes.

We're also doing some layering in the interior to ad a little floor space. we're going to build a platform so they can play down below and hop up and play on more space up on a top bunk of sorts. I figure if I can give them plenty of room to walk around and things to do they'll be happy.

RIR's are one of the larger breeds. Technically 4 sq ft per bird, and I would deduct 4 sq ft each for feeder and waterer. So, your coop(s) will handle 14 birds well. 8x8 = 64 sq ft minus 8 for "utilities" = 56 56 / 4 = 14. Especially with OUTSIDE nest boxes, to allow for the floor space, or at least elevated inside. The run will be fine as well.

we have 8 RIR in our 8x8. i wouldn't add anymore.. if you have a strong winter like us they get too crowded.. if you have mild winters then i would add more.. but here they won't be out everyday

I have a 10x10 run, and a coop attached to that...that is about 4 deep and 10' across the length of the run...and I have 9 in that,...its comfortable for them and the also have acess to cool off under the coop which they do.

36033_dsc_0752.jpg

36033_perches.jpg

Back
Top Bottom