9 week old brahmas. Genders?

Wow, that is interesting. I guess it makes sense, they have a very different program than hens do. I wonder if you could make a method out of that observation and how accurate you could get it to be.

Yeah, I wasn't saying it was a cochin, but that isn't typical feathering for the dark brahma breed. Or light brahma for that matter. That person may just be doing their own breeding program, and just not breeding for standard feathering. That may mean other breeds are mixed in further back, I'm not sure how they got such different characteristics. I'm sure they will be great birds, still.

That one does look like a pullet right now. I would start to wonder if that comb gets any pinker.
These are 2 hens we bought from him. They are huge and wonderful. I'm not sure about his breeding but all his brahmas are beautiful and very large.

Attachments

• 20221229_124411.jpg
    20221229_124411.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 9
Are you guys in Australia, by chance? They have more "standard variations" accepted for feathering patterns, they just aren't reliably bred in the US. That might explain my confusion.

If those are purebred Brahmas, their colors aren’t standard. Only buff, light, and dark colors are accepted in the US, and none of the four have these colors. Your two full grown hens look like partridge and lavender, which are accepted colors in other countries, just not here. The two young ones are black and either white or lavender, which also aren’t standard. They do all look like purebred Brahmas, though, with pea combs, feathered feet, and a beetle brow, which is what makes them look mean. As for gender, it’s a little early to tell, as Brahmas are notoriously slow developers.

If those are purebred Brahmas, their colors aren’t standard. Only buff, light, and dark colors are accepted in the US, and none of the four have these colors. Your two full grown hens look like partridge and lavender, which are accepted colors in other countries, just not here. The two young ones are black and either white or lavender, which also aren’t standard. They do all look like purebred Brahmas, though, with pea combs, feathered feet, and a beetle brow, which is what makes them look mean. As for gender, it’s a little early to tell, as Brahmas are notoriously slow developers.
Thanks for the info. We don't show our birds, so feather patterns don't matter to us. They are pets to us and of course we enjoy their eggs. I'm quite taken with the breed and also silkies. We'd like one to be a male so we can sell fertilized eggs and of course hatch more. They are beautiful well natured birds.

Gosh, if you breed them, too, there will probably be all kinds of cool feather patterns. If you do it and are able, it would be cool to see some pictures of the offspring. There is a good chance the black one is a cockerel.

Gosh, if you breed them, too, there will probably be all kinds of cool feather patterns. If you do it and are able, it would be cool to see some pictures of the offspring. There is a good chance the black one is a cockerel.
That's kind of my thinking too. I'm looking forward to the possibilities. I will post photos, however, I don't know ow how long it will be before we can. At least 6 months or more.

No that it really matters, but just FYI, the black one actually looks more like a black cochin. Can you tell if it has a pea comb or a single comb? Dark Brahma roosters have a different feather pattern with white, blue, and black. You can actually sex them when their mature feathers come in since the patterns between male and female are so different.
I have two dark Brahmas . How do I do this ?

Back
Top Bottom