A Bielefelder Thread !

New to chickens and to the forum. I put in my order for 3 females and one male Bielefelder chickens today and I'm sooo excited. I have been reading this thread ALL DAY and unless I missed it I didn't notice anyone specifically say how much their chicks are eating... I've read that they're little piggies compared to other breeds, but as a complete newbie to poultry of any kind, I don't have any point of reference. What should I expect for my 4 birds per week? Per day? AND my chicken friend said something about fermenting feed but she didn't know if that was an option for chicks?
Thanks y'all!

Last edited:
New to chickens and to the forum. I put in my order for 3 females and one male Bielefelder chickens today and I'm sooo excited. I have been reading this thread ALL DAY and unless I missed it I didn't notice anyone specifically say how much their chicks are eating... I've read that they're little piggies compared to other breeds, but as a complete newbie to poultry of any kind, I don't have any point of reference. What should I expect for my 4 birds per week? Per day? AND my chicken friend said something about fermenting feed but she didn't know if that was an option for chicks?
Thanks y'all!

I just read on another post that someone is feeding their chicks up to 24% protein fermented feed.

This is DesertChic's post: "It might be because of how I feed them. I use higher protein feed of 20% - 24% protein supplemented with crushed hard boiled egg and meal worms, plus fresh greens (and chick grit) right from the start. I've found that all of my birds feather out more quickly and grow better when I up their protein for the first 6-10 weeks, depending on the breed. I feed them dry food for the first week and have now switched to fermented feed. It's just what works for me."

Thanks y'all!

You can definitely feed FF to chicks. There is a thread for FF here> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

Thanks! Can anyone comment as to an average amount that the chicks eat Daily? Weekly? Monthly? I'll figure it out eventually but I'd like some rough idea. I think read somewhere to expect to feed 10lb of feed to grow out a bird? But then everything here says they're eaters so is it more for the Bielefelders?

Okay...so how "dry" do you guys go on your humidity? I've heard many mentions of "dry" incubation, but I'm still a bit fuzzy as to the details. And do any of you live in very dry climates? I'm in southern AZ where our daytime humidity is typically below 11%, so I'm not certain a dry hatch would even work. ????:confused:  

I'm in La. so high humidty except this last month its been dry and cold. The lowest it got was 18% when I noticed that I bumped it to 25% it stayed between 20 to 30 % with no water added until it was 18. Then I added a tiny bit of water.At lock down I went to 30%. The hatch rate is much better. Pam

Originally Posted by DesertChic View Post Okay...so how "dry" do you guys go on your humidity? I've heard many mentions of "dry" incubation, but I'm still a bit fuzzy as to the details. And do any of you live in very dry climates? I'm in southern AZ where our daytime humidity is typically below 11%, so I'm not certain a dry hatch would even work. ??

I'm doing a dry hatch this time in my Brinsea Octogon. I have a friend in MI that swears by it. My humidity here in mid-AZ is running about 11-13%. Will let you know! I have Biels and frizzle silkie incubating.

Thanks! Can anyone comment as to an average amount that the chicks eat Daily? Weekly? Monthly? I'll figure it out eventually but I'd like some rough idea. I think read somewhere to expect to feed 10lb of feed to grow out a bird? But then everything here says they're eaters so is it more for the Bielefelders?

My flock of 3 bielefelder hens, 3 cream legbar hens and 1 bielefelder rooster eat about a 40 lb bag of feed a month. The feed is fermented. They also get scraps from the house and when it is nice, I let them out to forage.

Male chicks tend to eat more than female chicks.

For chicks, I also ferment the starter feed. I use Scratch and Peck brand. To start, I fill a jar about 1/3 of the way with feed and then fill with water to the shoulder. I then put the lid on loosely. I also use a fermenting jar, but it's not necessary. I let it sit for several days until I see bubbles in the feed. It should be in a relatively warm area. My kitchen works nicely. ;)

No need to add any apple cider vinegar or anything else as the grains will ferment with time.

For the chicks, I try to keep feed in the the container at all times, which is kind of time consuming when they are chicks. When they go outside, I will start feeding 3 times a day until they to grower stage when I feed twice a day and add more of the extras.

This was my theory too...I have hatched eggs from 7 different breeders across the US for diversity. My youngest are just 10 days old, oldest is 2 months.

I would really like to get some diversity in my flock. If anyone is near the North Texas area, please let me know. I'd love to trade eggs.

Back
Top Bottom