A BYC CHANGE OVER REALITY. All need to read.

Quote:
Are you talking about negativity towards statements like "I hate this, I'm leaving!" or "I'm having a problem, I can't........." ???
I think this is difficult for many people here, including me. I would be very angry to read something negative toward someone who is asking for help.

People say things like that out of frustration. Others who do not experience problems have no idea. When you are at your wits end and angry, you really don't care to hear, "Oh, BYC is so wonderful...... I am having no problem ...... it must be your computer..... you need this and this and this..... etc" We KNOW that BYC is a nice place, OR WE WOULDN'T BE HERE !

You're so right. Nobody deserves to be talked down to or replied to with a snotty remark like "go by a new computer".

But how about someone talking about how their old computer is freezing up, running slow, etc. And someone may give alot of thought to their problem and, from their experience, suggest that their old computer may need to be replaced because their Old computer may not have the speed or power that's required nowadays.

Would that be negativity?
Plain and simple..... If you even question "would that be negativity," then don't even suggest it. Many folks have said their OLD computers work just fine on other sites, and the only problems they are having are HERE.... No, I would not suggest to ANYONE that they go out and buy a new computer.

Last edited:
You have not and will not hear any complaints from me. I know how much work you guys put into this platform. Thank you soooooo much for all your hard work you put into it and thank you soooooo much for providing a place where I can learn about everything chickens (and other fowl). I personally think this is waaaay more user friendly, I love it. :-D

It does get easier the more you sit and just play around and figure out what does what...I do hope that we will be able to in the end have the auction format back...
fl.gif

But like everyone said at least we still have BYC and we need to give them time to work out all the kinks....THANK YOU STAFF FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE!!

People say things like that out of frustration. Others who do not experience problems have no idea. When you are at your wits end and angry, you really don't care to hear, "Oh, BYC is so wonderful...... I am having no problem ...... it must be your computer..... you need this and this and this..... etc"

I totally get what you're saying about people who are at their wits' end not wanting to hear about what *is* working. There is some comfort in commiseration.
smile.png
Once the anger has worn off, though, the reality is that some BYCers are going to "need this and this and this" (as in, new browser upgrade, browser add-ons, etc.). I am guessing that people who say, "It must be your computer..." for the most part are actually talking about the software on the computer. In addition, I'm guessing that people who are offering suggestions are really just trying to help.

I understand that, for people who are not very tech-savvy, or just don't have the patience to mess with a computer ("Just WORK already!"
wink.png
), doing the suggested upgrades and tweaks can be incredibly stressful and frustrating. Sometimes, I see questions on the screen and wish I could just teleport myself to wherever that BYCer is so I could walk them through fixing the issue in person!

Hopefully, people will not need a new computer (forcing people to do so was NOT the intention of this BYC upgrade), but I do think that gargoyle's post here was pretty sensible and fair-minded. Computers are an expensive investment, but don't last as long as other expensive investments like refrigerators and furnaces. My parents have a hard time with this, since they didn't grow up with the reality that computers become obsolete so quickly. They expect to buy one and have it run for 15 years, without updates or adding more memory or this or that...unfortunately, computers just don't work that way. Computers are a lot like a car in that they need regular tune-ups and replacement parts now and then, but they won't last half as long as a car does. (Heck, I was just reading an article this morning about how 4G cell phones are already "yesterday's news" due to a new technology that has recently come out. My phone has 3G capability and I think it's sweet...let alone the 4G or this new thing! But if the new stuff catches on and my phone can't handle it anymore, I'm going to have to get a new phone. What can ya do?
hu.gif
But I've grown up with it and I expect it...) For a handful of people running really, really old machines, problems on BYC may be a symptom of a larger problem that they will continue to experience elsewhere on the Internet as technologies change.

I totally get what you're saying about people who are at their wits' end not wanting to hear about what *is* working. There is some comfort in commiseration.
smile.png
Once the anger has worn off, though, the reality is that some BYCers are going to "need this and this and this" (as in, new browser upgrade, browser add-ons, etc.). I am guessing that people who say, "It must be your computer..." for the most part are actually talking about the software on the computer. In addition, I'm guessing that people who are offering suggestions are really just trying to help.

I understand that, for people who are not very tech-savvy, or just don't have the patience to mess with a computer ("Just WORK already!"
wink.png
), doing the suggested upgrades and tweaks can be incredibly stressful and frustrating. Sometimes, I see questions on the screen and wish I could just teleport myself to wherever that BYCer is so I could walk them through fixing the issue in person!

Hopefully, people will not need a new computer (forcing people to do so was NOT the intention of this BYC upgrade), but I do think that gargoyle's post here was pretty sensible and fair-minded. Computers are an expensive investment, but don't last as long as other expensive investments like refrigerators and furnaces. My parents have a hard time with this, since they didn't grow up with the reality that computers become obsolete so quickly. They expect to buy one and have it run for 15 years, without updates or adding more memory or this or that...unfortunately, computers just don't work that way. Computers are a lot like a car in that they need regular tune-ups and replacement parts now and then, but they won't last half as long as a car does. (Heck, I was just reading an article this morning about how 4G cell phones are already "yesterday's news" due to a new technology that has recently come out. My phone has 3G capability and I think it's sweet...let alone the 4G or this new thing! But if the new stuff catches on and my phone can't handle it anymore, I'm going to have to get a new phone. What can ya do?
hu.gif
But I've grown up with it and I expect it...) For a handful of people running really, really old machines, problems on BYC may be a symptom of a larger problem that they will continue to experience elsewhere on the Internet as technologies change.

Thing is, my computer is six years old so by any standard its ancient. My only issue has been the screen over brightness. So, it is not specifically age related. One of the things I've noticed too many times is that someone tried to relay what their issues are and before anyone can make suggestions there is a bunch of "stuff" filling the topic that is nothing more than gushing about the site. Talk about raising the frustration factor when someone is looking for help and they see post after post, about hard work, wonderful, etc, etc, etc. before they ever come across a helping hand.

I am unable to read most posts as they seem to be shifted to far to the right and half of the sentences are not visable. Any one know what i can do to correct this?

What is your screen resolution? (on a PC, you can find that by right clicking the desktop, go to properties/settings). It seems like this site is designed for a minimum screen width of 1024, so if your setting is less it will do what you describe.

My wifes five year old computer, which I replaced last month, had a maximum resolution of 800 x 600, so it would have done what you describe.

Did you try the f.lux software? It works quite well to dim and soften the brightness, there are some discussions about it here.

Using it, Rob posted the link right after I said something in the bugs post. And its helped a ton. That link needs to be some place prominent so those having that issue can find it easily. Even post the topic and lock it to prevent posting to it.

Back
Top Bottom