a challenge to test the theory of beak sexing silkies!

beak sexing silkies, accurate or not?

• accurate

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • innacurate

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • undecided

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Tammys kevin

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
ive been hearing a bit about beak sexing silkies, apparently roos have more hook shaped beaks and wider bases and pullets have slimmer, curvey beaks. ive googled it and found next to no info, so im challenging everyone here to test the theory! post some photos of your silkies beaks, a side on and a front view, clearly mark if its male or female so we can compare them, and also any info on the subject would be greatly helpful :)

I'm in, but I have to gather intel--not only the photos, but also the crowing or the eggs. The verdict is still out on Fancy Nancy. Want me to wait until I'm sure of the sex or post photos of the beak before that?

I'm thinking its best to wait and see, its easier to compare male to female characteristics when you're sure of the sex :) do you have other silkies you can compare fancy nancy to?

It works to a certain extent. Peepblessed said about 70% accurate. My boy has a girl beak, but most follow the rule.
_MG_0934.jpg

I've successfully sexed 5 Silkie chicks, between 2-5 days old, of course it could have been a fluke, but I'll post my methods anyway so others can put them to the test
1. Beak sexing, males have a slightly hook shape, females a more gently curve
2. Legs, males have noticeably thicker legs
3. Combs, males have a figure 8 shape

Females have a 'tic tac' shape
it's not so much the comb itself, but the skin around it that makes the shape. Using these methods I got the sex of all 5 correct, I can't wait to test it on my next batch of silkies, and would live to see if it works for other people

I've successfully sexed 5 Silkie chicks, between 2-5 days old, of course it could have been a fluke, but I'll post my methods anyway so others can put them to the test
1. Beak sexing, males have a slightly hook shape, females a more gently curve
2. Legs, males have noticeably thicker legs
3. Combs, males have a figure 8 shape

Females have a 'tic tac' shape
it's not so much the comb itself, but the skin around it that makes the shape. Using these methods I got the sex of all 5 correct, I can't wait to test it on my next batch of silkies, and would live to see if it works for other people
I’m reviving this shamelessly, any other research on your findings?

Back
Top Bottom