A frame vs hoop for breeding pens

Pics

miss heny

BYC Cryptid
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 30, 2010
Louisville, Mississippi
So I'm currently in the process of try to research and design a coop plan for oegb bantam breeders. I got ideas for conditioning pen, grow out and brooder but breeder pen I'm sorta stumped. I have arthritic joints so want it to be accessible, planning to make a automatic waterer and feed system, while preferably letting them have greens.

I live in northern Mississippi, so our weather is blistering hot in the summer and muddy wet in the winter. Already decided on sand for the coop floor.

So give me thy wisdom oh breeders of byc! I hope to use alot if pallet wood if possible for these too.

well, my two pennies' worth:
once upon a time, I read a book on chicken keeping.
the guy had an A-frame coop that matched other stuff he had built for the homestead.
fast forward 40 years:
I am taking measurements of my proposed garden beds, to build the coop to match (so that the attached run, which shared plans with a row cover for the beds can let the chickens scratch in the garden without doing damage)
Then I pulled out my sketch pad and ruler
The resulting A-frame coop would be a ginormous 5-foot tall!
That is A LOT of material. The book had no plans included, so I have no clue how the inside looked. That was before I knew about roosts and such.
You are better off building a hoop coop. It has more headroom for a human even if you don't get 6-foot height.
Now, a caveat here: TSC does not deliver the fence panels everybody raves about to make DIY structures! They are 16' long I believe. That makes for some tricky transit!

well, my two pennies' worth:
once upon a time, I read a book on chicken keeping.
the guy had an A-frame coop that matched other stuff he had built for the homestead.
fast forward 40 years:
I am taking measurements of my proposed garden beds, to build the coop to match (so that the attached run, which shared plans with a row cover for the beds can let the chickens scratch in the garden without doing damage)
Then I pulled out my sketch pad and ruler
The resulting A-frame coop would be a ginormous 5-foot tall!
That is A LOT of material. The book had no plans included, so I have no clue how the inside looked. That was before I knew about roosts and such.
You are better off building a hoop coop. It has more headroom for a human even if you don't get 6-foot height.
Now, a caveat here: TSC does not deliver the fence panels everybody raves about to make DIY structures! They are 16' long I believe. That makes for some tricky transit!
We raised goats and cattle. Cow pannel and hay string is duct tape for fence here 🤣 I am not sure if I want walk in or not in honestly.

as a matter of geometry, A frames are the least resource efficient structure you can build.
I don't know a thing about OEGB needs, but I know that cattle panel hoop coops are easy to construct, light weight., have good tolerance for high winds if anchored correctly, are rather inexpensive, and can be bent into shapes that are easy to walk in - though not well suited to great widths - which is a consideration if you have dominant birds.

I don't know what you have for existing, free standing structures you might make use of either. Or your predator considerations. I have a rose arch made with a pair of cattle panels, anchored into a raised bed, and attached at the top to the side of an existing shed. Its surprisingly roomy.

I'll find a picture.

as a matter of geometry, A frames are the least resource efficient structure you can build.
I don't know a thing about OEGB needs, but I know that cattle panel hoop coops are easy to construct, light weight., have good tolerance for high winds if anchored correctly, are rather inexpensive, and can be bent into shapes that are easy to walk in - though not well suited to great widths - which is a consideration if you have dominant birds.

I don't know what you have for existing, free standing structures you might make use of either. Or your predator considerations. I have a rose arch made with a pair of cattle panels, anchored into a raised bed, and attached at the top to the side of an existing shed. Its surprisingly roomy.

I'll find a picture.
I got acres of open land, biggest issues we have is wind storms (spring the worse) predators... eeeeh? Currently 95% of my birds basically run feral and rarely anything gets them. We have the normal snakes, owls, possums, a armadillo, hawks etc.

I'm in FL Panhandle, we get similar winds usually about 8 hours after you get them. ;)

1645019706507-png.2995631

This is the base from my "deep litter (what to do with it) post. I need to search Facebook for the full picture, I can't find it here, and its a bit dark right now...

I'm in FL Panhandle, we get similar winds usually about 8 hours after you get them. ;)

1645019706507-png.2995631

This is the base from my "deep litter (what to do with it) post. I need to search Facebook for the full picture, I can't find it here, and its a bit dark right now...
Bit dark and rainy like here currently? 😂

I'm just wanting something I could make multiple of that will keep them in good condition. I'm 5'1 and a half so it doesn't have to be super tall. I would like them to have access to greens but would rather they be secure, and like I said wanna be able to use automatic watering system and feeder. Metal waterers are the devil in my mind
:smack

Back
Top Bottom