A great treat ... Birdy bread

KateB39

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
My recipe for birdy Bread Is simple . I raise more than chickens I also have ducks , doves and peafowl .
This is a great way to get vitamans and minerals , greens and calcium all in one .

1 cup self rising flour ( if using all purpose add and extra tea spoon pf baking powder )
1 cup corn meal
1 cup parakeet seed or wild bird feed
water or milk to wet doe
1/2 cup oaster shell
I also add greens such as brussel sprouts pre cooked , cabbage , lettice , greens , tomato , starwberry , blueberrys , blackberrys , dueberrys , peaches , plums , squash , pumpkin , spinich, apple - minis the seeds ect ect ....

1 to 3 eggshell , save eggs shells and recycle them in birdy bread .

It's best to keep the berrys and vegies in speparate recipe.

I use muffin tins with the paper holders it's easy and you already have pre measured treats all in one .

mix dry ingredents first , add milk or water just enough to make the doe gooey . Fruit juice can also be used .
after you have a good batter formed , yes it must be a wet batter , add in you seed , mix it in well add oaster shell , then mix in you fresh friuts or vegies .
Spoon into muffin tins and bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes , or until tooth pick or match comes out clean , sometimes you have to eyeball it .
Let stand on cooling rack until completely cool . Makes about 2 dozen , depends on how you put in the tins , about half full will stretch the batter .
Store in zip lock bags in the freezer , keeps for 3 months in the freezer or 2 week in the frig .

I also add my own bird vitamans right before serving . This is optional . I started making these for my doves , they needed lots of vitamans , I figured chicken aren't that much different than doves , they love the birdy bread . And with all the different fruits and veggies out there you can bake 50 or so different recipes . You can even add a teaspoon of peanut butter for protein .
Happy baking ya'll ..... Kate

I forgot ... no sugar or salt . I never add extra sugar or salt to birdy bread . I guess if your not sweemish you could throw in some worms or crickets . My birds prefer crickets .

thanks!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom