A once dominate pullet now scared, dry skin and dropping feathers

tpantali

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 16, 2007
Finger Lakes New York
Hello. I am concerned about our Arcauna, Cookie. She is eleven weeks old. She has lived with five other birds and tended to be the dominate one.

Two weeks ago we added our birds to another flock of similiar ages. Yesterday we noticed that Cookie is missing a large number of feathers on her back. Her skin is dry and flaky and there are new feathers coming in. The feather surrounding the bald spot are looking almost like they are dying. They are getting dusty and kind of matted. Where the feather meets her skin, it is dusty, almost like a cobweb-if you know what I mean.

She is also running scared of the other flock, which she has not been doing previously. I sat with the pullets for about one hour this morning. I did not notice any thing I would consider out of the ordinary in terms of pecking, just a little but here and there. Cookie, herself, did turn a couple of times and seemed to lightly poke around the area as did two of the others birds from her original flock.

At first I thought it might have some thing to do with pecking order getting worked out. Then I thought maybe she was pulling them out herself. I also wonder if we actually have a rooster in there but am not sure it they are two young at this point for that type of behavior. My biggest concern is that she may have some sort of disease that will transmit to the others.

We are going to make a "saddle" for her and see if that helps.

Feedback is appreaciated.

With the introduction to the other flock she may have lost her place in the pecking order. This may have distressed her. Another option is she may have mites. Check her at night around her vent to see if this is the problem. If she doesnt have mites you may try to separate her and a few of the other "original" hens and see if her bahavior returns to normal. I know that stress can cause a bird to pluck their own feathers. Hopefully you find the cause and things go back to normal. How is she doing now?
Kristyne

Thank you for the feedback. I will check her vent for mites. I did look under her chin, seems funny, but I read some where that if there are mites there would be eggs under her chin, but did not see anything. I also checked in the middle of the day.

We put a "saddle" on her in the night. She has been such a trooper, with me poking at her. This morning I could not find the saddle anywhere. Finally, I found it in the liter covered in manure (She certianly told me what she thinks of it). I guess I made it too big, and will make another one today.

I realized that I failed to mention my concern that is she has lost some weight. I am not sure how much but it is deinitely noticeable.

I will check for the mites and remove her if need be.

Boy, I never realize having chickens was going to be so stressful! I certainly am worried about her, I guess that it the part I was not expecting
smile.png

I totally agress with missusduray, the introduction of newbies changed her pecking order and has stressed her out---which in turn has had some physical manifestations. I would separate her also--give her a chance to heal a bit.

I hope she feels better soon! Maybe some special treats for her!!!

get a good poultry supplement... AviaCharge 2000 is a complete supplement (also approved for use on organic certified)...this should deal with any nutritional issues. (It can be purchased online from McMurry or Strombergs)

Thanks for the feedback! We are going to bring her in this evening with one of the other birds from the original flock. We also planning treats for her. We do put treats out everyday for all the birds but was thinking giving her some yogurt and berries from our garden. Any other ideas about what to treat her with to assist in her healing? We will also check out the AviaCharge.

Any suggestions on how long she should be isolated, so to speak?

We are so worried and really appreicate your feedback.

Thank you!!!

dont "over"treat her with what you think are "goodies"... the commercial feed formulation has the basci (minimal) nutrients and in the correct ratio which is crucial for your birds health and immunesystem. You can add cooked oatmeal (cook in water human oats and add just enough to make the feed "clumpy">this will aid in digestion and uptake of nutrients and also just make it more palatable)... you can also add a cooked/scrambled egg to this and wheatgermoil is a fabulous source vitE with a few other things . Offer free choice live culture yogurt (the "plain" unflavored and non pasteurized kind with the live acidolpholus probiotic cultures)>this will help immensely and most birds love it.

Back
Top Bottom