A wonderful boredom buster

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
I have a backyard flock of 5 with a big ol' run and with winter coming, free range time may not happen, but i still want my gals to have activities. When they are in the run too much they dont get their exercise and are less stimulated as when we free range. Fatty Liver is #1 cause of death of Chickens in CT after necroscopy conducted by the Connecticut Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. Its my duty to get their butts movin'! ok, back to the cool thing!

Take a 1/2 sheet of news paper, lay it flat and sprinkle a SMALL amount (2ts) of scratch. crinkle the news paper but not too tight, just enough that the scratch stays inside. Toss it in the run on a "stay inside bad weather" day and watch the chickens works that newspaper tryin' to get the goodies. I make 5, one for each of the hens. In order to make this a regular activity through the winter I put VERY little in each paper ball. I was pleased to find another acceptable activity to combat the more common winter inactivity. Last year i threw wayyyy to may BOSS to them and am surprised they didnt fall victim to fatty liver :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom