Abandoned sand hill crane chick found

Aug 7, 2020
We have a sand hill crane chick that wandered out from under our deck a couple hours ago. The parents are nowhere to be found and there's no way it got into our yard on it's own. 🥺

We plan on taking it to the wildlife center in the morning since they're a protected species in my state but we're wondering what to do overnight. We have it in a cage with water. Other than a small scratch on it's back it's okay. We looked everywhere for the nest and can't find it or we would have let it be for mom or dad to find and there are several different predators that are near our farm. Any advice??

We have a sand hill crane chick that wandered out from under our deck a couple hours ago. The parents are nowhere to be found and there's no way it got into our yard on it's own. 🥺

We plan on taking it to the wildlife center in the morning since they're a protected species in my state but we're wondering what to do overnight. We have it in a cage with water. Other than a small scratch on it's back it's okay. We looked everywhere for the nest and can't find it or we would have let it be for mom or dad to find and there are several different predators that are near our farm. Any advice??
Oh no! Poor baby. Do you have a pic of him? For the night, just put him in a regular brooder. Towel on the bottom of a large box, a heat lamp he can get away from, and some fresh water. If you have any chick starter offer him that. If he seems upset you can give him a small stuffed animal or mirror too.
The scratch, I'd put triple antibiotic ointment on it. You don't want that getting infected.

Good job rescuing him and I wish you guys the best! Hopefully the rescue can help him.
@MGG don't you have sand hill cranes?
The only things I know about cranes are they're beautiful, I really need some, chicks are called colts, and they are expensive.
I don't but I have friends who do, so I'm well-versed in their care. 😅
They are magnificent birds.

Oh no! Poor baby. Do you have a pic of him? For the night, just put him in a regular brooder. Towel on the bottom of a large box, a heat lamp he can get away from, and some fresh water. If you have any chick starter offer him that. If he seems upset you can give him a small stuffed animal or mirror too.
The scratch, I'd put triple antibiotic ointment on it. You don't want that getting infected.

Good job rescuing him and I wish you guys the best! Hopefully the rescue can help him.

I don't but I have friends who do, so I'm well-versed in their care. 😅
They are magnificent birds.
Chick starter is okay?? It's non medicated for our guys still on it and as far as heat lamp... it's not a newborn but not really feathered out yet. These are what we took and we did line the inside of the cage with cardboard to keep it from hurting itself. It's not expected to go below 65 and coop area temp is about 80 still.

We have a nature center about 30 minutes away that we plan on taking it to in the morning. Trying to keep it comfortable is what's important overnight. We think someone shot the parents. People have been hunting them illegally and the ones we do hear haven't been spotted in about 30 hrs.

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_174529093.jpg
    IMG_20220612_174529093.jpg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220612_180303915_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220612_180303915_HDR.jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 7
Chick starter is okay?? It's non medicated for our guys still on it and as far as heat lamp... it's not a newborn but not really feathered out yet. These are what we took and we did line the inside of the cage with cardboard to keep it from hurting itself. It's not expected to go below 65 and coop area temp is about 80 still.

We have a nature center about 30 minutes away that we plan on taking it to in the morning. Trying to keep it comfortable is what's important overnight. We think someone shot the parents. People have been hunting them illegally and the ones we do hear haven't been spotted in about 30 hrs.
Yup, it'll be fine for the night. He might like a hard boiled egg too. Is he very nervous?
Yeah he looks old enough to not need a heat lamp. Just as long as he's in a garage or something for safety.
That's awful, poor little guy. I'm so glad you could rescue him.

Yup, it'll be fine for the night. He might like a hard boiled egg too. Is he very nervous?
Yeah he looks old enough to not need a heat lamp. Just as long as he's in a garage or something for safety.
That's awful, poor little guy. I'm so glad you could rescue him.
Yes, it's in our garage currently. It seems fine until someone gets too close and then it starts yelling. It comes up to about my knee so I'm thinking about or just under a foot tall. How long do they take to feather out?? I'm wondering how young it is.

So cute!
Sad for him, but what a neat experience!

Back
Top Bottom