Abnormal eggs

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
Hey! One of my chickens lately has been laying abnormally large eggs with a little calcium deposit on top.

She had an infection a while back but now she’s her usual self. Is this normal and safe to eat?
1AC79754-178F-4227-BA7F-AF92A9E8A24C.jpeg

Attachments

• 318103A0-65D6-4908-8B83-B35952FAD2B5.jpeg
    318103A0-65D6-4908-8B83-B35952FAD2B5.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 2
Salpingitis. I treated it with anti inflammatory and amox
Could have damaged her reproductive system.
How long was she on the drugs, and how long since the treatment ended??
Not much is officially known abut drug residue in eggs, tho there are many withdrawal periods posted, up to you how long you want to wait.

Could have damaged her reproductive system.
How long was she on the drugs, and how long since the treatment ended??
Not much is officially known abut drug residue in eggs, tho there are many withdrawal periods posted, up to you how long you want to wait.
10 days. It happened late November and stared laying a few weeks after late November. Its been a while but still not sure if eggs are safe.

If treatment was all the way back in November I'd have to think you'd be fine with eating any eggs now. Even if there were residuals it's been months, so they should've cleared out of the bird's system.

If it still makes you nervous, well, I had a hen that I treated for salpingitis last fall as well. Wasn't sure if she's lay again but she laid maybe a half dozen eggs this spring before quitting again (she's never been a good layer, so going by past history she'll probably lay a few more in July, then quit for the year). I fed all her eggs to the dogs.

Back
Top Bottom