About sexlinks

garfieldGeorgia

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2023
We know the Black Sex Links are bred usually by crossing a RIR or NHR rooster with a barred rock hen. But is it possible to do them with Cuckoo Maran hens and have them just as easy to sex link?

Yes, the sexlinkage would work just as well that way.

The basic recipe is a mother with white barring, and a father without barring, with a base color that will let you see the head spot on the male chicks (like the black base color in Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans.)

If you read the first post in this thread it tells you some of the basics of sex links and how they work. The second chart gives some of the roosters and some of the hens that can be used to make black sex links. There are only three hens listed (Barred Rock, Cuckoo Marans, and Dominique) but others can work.

Sex- linked Information | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

We know the Black Sex Links are bred usually by crossing a RIR or NHR rooster with a barred rock hen. But is it possible to do them with Cuckoo Maran hens and have them just as easy to sex link?
Yes, the barred and/or cuckoo gene is passed from hen to male offspring only when mated with a solid male. All boys will hatch with a white dot on their head. :)

Also there's a video on YouTube about the chicken industry, and it shows this picture, where the roosters are all white and hens all red. Any idea what kinds these are? Some type of Red Sex Link crossing perhaps?
Screenshot_20230228_104438_YouTube.jpg

Also there's a video on YouTube about the chicken industry, and it shows this picture, where the roosters are all white and hens all red. Any idea what kinds these are? Some type of Red Sex Link crossing perhaps?View attachment 3417852
Probably Amberlinks (same parents as Red Sexlinks, but crossed the other direction.)

The chicks from that cross will not be color-sexable.

The parent stock may be specially selected to make their chicks feather-sexable, or the chicks may need to be vent-sexed.

Also there's a video on YouTube about the chicken industry, and it shows this picture, where the roosters are all white and hens all red. Any idea what kinds these are? Some type of Red Sex Link crossing perhaps?View attachment 3417852
Definitely not red sex links. Do you have a link to that U-tube so we could see it in context. We might be able to figure out what is going on. I hesitate to speculate without more information.

Any idea what kinds these are? Some type of Red Sex Link crossing perhaps?
This sex link trait comes from the opposite of what's seen in the picture.. red/gold rooster over white/siver hen.. giving all white offspring will be cockerel and all gold/buff/ brownish will be the females. Images from google to show chick color..

RSL-e1458689176409.png

Some white breeds like Rock or Leghorn may require test mating to verify silver gene...

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/sex-linked-crosses-and-their-offspring/

Some other barred females (possibly not listed) that could be used in sex linking.. Crested cream Legbar and Bielefelder.

Yes, the barred and/or cuckoo gene is passed from hen to male offspring only when mated with a solid male. All boys will hatch with a white dot on their head. :)
Putting large pics like that in your signature line is quite clever, lovely birds! :thumbsup

I found myself asking why were those pics posted that have no relevance to the topic at hand.. because they're so large it's kinda distracting. No rudeness meant on my part though.. this is the first time I figured out they were part of signature line and not actually posted to the thread. :oops:

This sex link trait comes from the opposite of what's seen in the picture.. red/gold rooster over white/siver hen.. giving all white offspring will be cockerel and all gold/buff/ brownish will be the females. Images from google to show chick color..

RSL-e1458689176409.png

Some white breeds like Rock or Leghorn may require test mating to verify silver gene...

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/sex-linked-crosses-and-their-offspring/

Some other barred females (possibly not listed) that could be used in sex linking.. Crested cream Legbar and Bielefelder.

Putting large pics like that in your signature line is quite clever, lovely birds! :thumbsup

I found myself asking why were those pics posted that have no relevance to the topic at hand.. because they're so large it's kinda distracting. No rudeness meant on my part though.. this is the first time I figured out they were part of signature line and not actually posted to the thread. :oops:
So like RiR rooster with White Rock hen?

Back
Top Bottom