Abundance of roosters

hobbyfarmpoultry

Hatching
Mar 1, 2022
We’ve owned chickens for many years now but have yet to find a good solution for roosters. Currently we have a pen with just roosters and a pen with hens and a couple roosters but it’s still too many. I love them and they are mostly amicable with each other but they are definitely doing damage to our hens. The poor things have had so many feathers ripped out and are generally not happy around them so I desperately need to get rid of most of the roosters.

I understand the only real options are give away or cull, we’d much prefer to find new homes but know that is pretty unlikely. My main concern is giving them away to people who will use them for cockfighting or dog bait and I don’t think I could cull them myself. Is there anywhere (around Bendigo region) that humanity culls roosters for dog/scrap meat? Our roosters are mostly over a year old and won’t make for good meat but I’m sure dogs wouldn’t mind.

Sorry if this is a common question, I just feel terrible and lost with how things are at the moment. Thank you for any advice!

We’ve owned chickens for many years now but have yet to find a good solution for roosters. Currently we have a pen with just roosters and a pen with hens and a couple roosters but it’s still too many. I love them and they are mostly amicable with each other but they are definitely doing damage to our hens. The poor things have had so many feathers ripped out and are generally not happy around them so I desperately need to get rid of most of the roosters.

I understand the only real options are give away or cull, we’d much prefer to find new homes but know that is pretty unlikely. My main concern is giving them away to people who will use them for cockfighting or dog bait and I don’t think I could cull them myself. Is there anywhere (around Bendigo region) that humanity culls roosters for dog/scrap meat? Our roosters are mostly over a year old and won’t make for good meat but I’m sure dogs wouldn’t mind.

Sorry if this is a common question, I just feel terrible and lost with how things are at the moment. Thank you for any advice!
We cannot take any more roosters on, I’m sorry.

But, I understand your fear on rehoming, especially the fear of Cockfighting and animal bait. :hugs We have the same kind of set up for the extras. We’ve been at the chicken business for 8-9 years, and never once rehomed a rooster.

Try going to your state thread. You can find the thread that contains most of the states in the ”Where am I, Where are you” fourms.

We cannot take any more roosters on, I’m sorry.

But, I understand your fear on rehoming, especially the fear of Cockfighting and animal bait. :hugs We have the same kind of set up for the extras. We’ve been at the chicken business for 8-9 years, and never once rehomed a rooster.

Try going to your state thread. You can find the thread that contains most of the states in the ”Where am I, Where are you” fourms.
Thank you, I’ll check that out!

Back
Top Bottom