Accidentally got some liquid medicine in the lungs

ralleia

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Omaha, NE
I took two of our older hens to the vet for different undiagnosed issues today.

The vet prescribed both a one-week course of antibiotics and painkiller to see if some of the symptoms would improve. Neither bird has anything acutely wrong at this point though.

It's my first time administering meds to birds. The smaller hen was to light in weight to get the tablets, so I was given liquids for her.

I was giving the antibiotic a third at a time for the 0.7 mL dose. On the last third I must have did something wrong (too fast maybe) and I think I got at least some of the 0.2 mL into her lungs, because she started sneezing and sounded a bit wheezy afterwards.

It was the night dose so she is bedded down now. She was walking around and eating a bit after the accident, but I definitely got some in her lungs.

Is she okay? Will this resolve on its own?

Since she isn't acutely ill, I don't want to accidentally kill her by trying to help her. She's my mother's favorite hen, and I'm pretty fond of her, too.

That was an awfully small amount if she did aspirate, so I would also think she may be fine. I usually would give a drop or two at a time, but really prefer to give meds disquised in something I know they will scarf up, such as some egg, cheese, or a little ground meat. Of course, they can then not eat it, and you have wasted a dose. If I have tablets, I usually can crush them or empty a capsule out and hide it in something like liverwurst, a good thing to use for all animals.

I took two of our older hens to the vet for different undiagnosed issues today.

The vet prescribed both a one-week course of antibiotics and painkiller to see if some of the symptoms would improve. Neither bird has anything acutely wrong at this point though.

It's my first time administering meds to birds. The smaller hen was to light in weight to get the tablets, so I was given liquids for her.

I was giving the antibiotic a third at a time for the 0.7 mL dose. On the last third I must have did something wrong (too fast maybe) and I think I got at least some of the 0.2 mL into her lungs, because she started sneezing and sounded a bit wheezy afterwards.

It was the night dose so she is bedded down now. She was walking around and eating a bit after the accident, but I definitely got some in her lungs.

Is she okay? Will this resolve on its own?

Since she isn't acutely ill, I don't want to accidentally kill her by trying to help her. She's my mother's favorite hen, and I'm pretty fond of her, too.
How is she? I think I just did the same thing :(

I did the same thing, a couple different times both less than .1 She just eats something afterwards, no sure if that helps any but she seems to be fine after that. I'm switching back to putting it in eggs or a sprinkle of oats. Too scary to hurt my little nugget

Back
Top Bottom