ack, picking up chicks *tomorrow!* UPDATE: They're Here! w/ pics

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I just wanted to say, AAAAAAAACK! It turns out that I am supposed to go pick up my order of 20 chicks *tomorrow*, not Monday as I had thought. (Miscommunication). Gah! I have a brooder assembled but not yet furnished (tho I do have the stuff), warmed up or temperature-stabilized. I know what I'll be doing when DH comes home in an hour or so
tongue.png

It's a 2-3 hr drive each way (actually it will be a longer day than that, since we are also picking up bareroot trees from a place about an hour away from the hatchery, *assuming* they have our order ready since I'd put myself down for a Sun or Mon pickup... but it's only half a dozen trees, they can go out there with a shovel if necessary, I hope....)

I do not seem to do well with scheduling and chicken acquisition. Same thing happened to me last year - the pullets I'd ordered last year arrived unexpectedly 1 month early ("hello? this is the feed store, your chickens are here"... "my *what*?"... "your chickens, you can come pick them up any time this afternoon"... "but they weren't supposed to be here til next month"... "oh, we went ahead and ordered them early since we didn't know if any would be available next month"...
tongue.png
)

So, wish me luck that they will do okay on the car trip (I'm bringing a chemical warming pak in case they need it, but I don't think they will) and not immediately go toes-up in the not-quite-totally-ready-yet brooder.

Gah!!!

tongue.png

Pat, who does Not Do Well With surprises

Last edited:
Good Luck! You are so knowledgeable about stuff I am sure you will do great. What kinds of chickens did you order?

Ack, a certain Tutter doesn't like those type of surprises, either. What if you'd not been home? On a long weekend trip, dreaming of Monday?
he.gif

That said, I know everything will be fine. You will be scrambling, but it will work out great. You're only a cpl of days off this time, not a month like last time. (What *were* they thinking? That was a terrible thing to do to a person!)

I hope your trees can be gotten easily, without having to give anyone the evil eye and explain what kind of day you're having!
big_smile.png

Have a safe trip, and when you get half a moment, please let us know how it went, and how the birds and trees are.
smile.png

They're here!
big_smile.png

10 Speckled Sussex, 6 Golden Campine, 4 Buff Chanteclers. The SS are striped very much like little chipmunks; the GC are a very pretty brown/tan/grey marbled spotted kind of effect; and of course the Buff Chanteclers are boring yellow
wink.png
The chanteclers do, however, distinguish themselves by the occasional unprovoked athletic leap high over the other chicks' backs, or hurtling across the food dish, or leaping at my hand, or other inexplicable feats of athleticism.

All of them are eating and drinking like little piggies (and, at the moment, napping). They all seem perfectly fine to me except that one of the GC is significantly smaller than its hatchmates, and spends a lot of time just standing somewhat unsteadily in one place or napping. It does not seem to have the same friskiness as the others although it *is* eating and drinking. Should I be doing something? I suppose I will go ask in the Raising Baby Chicks section.

Here is a lousy picture of the whole bunch of them:

chicks005.jpg

And here is Harry, almost 4, with the chick he picked out as the one he wanted to have his picture taken with. Why this one? Who knows
tongue.png

chicks008.jpg

I'm feeling pretty ok about the whole baby chick thing now that we actually have them, though -- while they are seriously clueless, they have an amazing amount of enthusiasm for life in general
wink.png
I hope that one little runt is ok.

We picked up my bareroot trees, too, but with >2" of rain I don't know how I'm going to plant them - I couldn't even heel them in to the veg garden when we got home because it was nearly underwater. I guess something will work out tomorrow.

Off to check the chicks again!

Thanks for the encouragement,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom