Added vitamins for silkies

Interesting. Where did you learn they need a higher protein feed? All my Bantam chickens and Ducks eat 16% protein and doing fantastic.
I think they (SOME Silkies) might possibly need more amino acids... which happens to be associated with protein. To me, being allowed to brood their lives away MIGHT be adding to this whole "more prone to deficiency's" thing... or excess treats.. I can't help but wonder if Silkies are just more prone to be spoiled! :oops:

Thanks for sharing your sources and thoughts!

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with these links and explain why I feel that way... Mind you I used to be a protein pusher also.
Your first link uses a lot of "I think" but without any support. All though protein is important... Silkies are chickens and NOT game birds. I have experimented with game bird feeds also... guess what, too much protein decreases fertility... AND hatchability!!! my links fro review..
https://en.engormix.com/poultry-industry/articles/effects-nutrition-during-laying-t43074.htm
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/8ab7/566b083bbc1dc376621f509bd39d3afc1616.pdf
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-635X2017000200231 Please note the protein levels being used even for Chuckar breeding in this link is lower than what JVP is suggesting.

https://www.poultryworld.net/Breeders/General/2012/3/The-golden-secrets-of-male-fertility-WP010083W/
A lot of the information they (JVP) give is relative to their own personal situation and some is even just piss poor, like the following statement...

"Carbohydrate treats help to keep your birds warm especially on exceptionally cold days. The best sources are what you would find in chicken scratch. Cracked corn, oats and wheat."
A balanced ration is the best thing to keep your birds warm. AT LEAST they DO state it's supposed to be a treat.

"a chicken’s feed consumption will be 1.5 times the amount they eat in the spring and summer. You will notice an increase in your feed bill and you will be filling those feeding dish more often.

This increase in food consumption is due to the fact that they are coming off of their fall molt and need energy to regrow feathers."

True most folks see increase to feed bills in winter time. But, a bird usually stops laying eggs when they are molting to put that energy towards regrowing feathers... which btw, ARE made from 90% protein and it's amino acids, despite only being about 2% digestible if eaten. Really, birds coming off their fall molts have (to me) already grown their feathers back in.

It's always good to scrutinize... just because someone has a website doesn't mean they've got a FULL understanding. And sharing their way is great... but always remember to do your OWN research (find lots of evidence to support or refute what you read)... even after you're pretty sure you've made up your mind. ;)

I consider FF to be HYPE after doing only FF for more than 2 years for a flock of 82+ birds. I saw zero saving and wasted a BUNCH of time with no change to the health of my birds. Though it MAY benefit some who need help digesting. It was fun to see the feed get fluffy and bubble. But it's ALREADY formulated to meet the need of most birds... and many feeds even have probiotics added already even without fancy advertising.

If you're gonna add raw ACV... add it to the water instead of the feed maybe. To me there is a balance point... if they don't need the help, it's just wasting resources really. The same is true for excess protein... it gets excreted as extra smelly waste.

Sorry, I don't mean to be picky... just mean to share information... :oops:

I can't help but wonder if Silkies are just more prone to be spoiled! :oops:

Perhaps!! :lau

I'm definitely no expert and still learning. I just quickly found a couple online sources for information I've been told by other silkie owners. Again, not sure if it's true and I do appreciate your insight. This is how I (we) learn, from each other. :)

I think they (SOME Silkies) might possibly need more amino acids... which happens to be associated with protein. To me, being allowed to brood their lives away MIGHT be adding to this whole "more prone to deficiency's" thing... or excess treats.. I can't help but wonder if Silkies are just more prone to be spoiled! :oops:

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with these links and explain why I feel that way... Mind you I used to be a protein pusher also.
Your first link uses a lot of "I think" but without any support. All though protein is important... Silkies are chickens and NOT game birds. I have experimented with game bird feeds also... guess what, too much protein decreases fertility... AND hatchability!!! my links fro review..
https://en.engormix.com/poultry-industry/articles/effects-nutrition-during-laying-t43074.htm
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/8ab7/566b083bbc1dc376621f509bd39d3afc1616.pdf
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-635X2017000200231 Please note the protein levels being used even for Chuckar breeding in this link is lower than what JVP is suggesting.

https://www.poultryworld.net/Breeders/General/2012/3/The-golden-secrets-of-male-fertility-WP010083W/
A lot of the information they (JVP) give is relative to their own personal situation and some is even just piss poor, like the following statement...

"Carbohydrate treats help to keep your birds warm especially on exceptionally cold days. The best sources are what you would find in chicken scratch. Cracked corn, oats and wheat."
A balanced ration is the best thing to keep your birds warm. AT LEAST they DO state it's supposed to be a treat.

"a chicken’s feed consumption will be 1.5 times the amount they eat in the spring and summer. You will notice an increase in your feed bill and you will be filling those feeding dish more often.

This increase in food consumption is due to the fact that they are coming off of their fall molt and need energy to regrow feathers."

True most folks see increase to feed bills in winter time. But, a bird usually stops laying eggs when they are molting to put that energy towards regrowing feathers... which btw, ARE made from 90% protein and it's amino acids, despite only being about 2% digestible if eaten. Really, birds coming off their fall molts have (to me) already grown their feathers back in.

It's always good to scrutinize... just because someone has a website doesn't mean they've got a FULL understanding. And sharing their way is great... but always remember to do your OWN research (find lots of evidence to support or refute what you read)... even after you're pretty sure you've made up your mind. ;)

I consider FF to be HYPE after doing only FF for more than 2 years for a flock of 82+ birds. I saw zero saving and wasted a BUNCH of time with no change to the health of my birds. Though it MAY benefit some who need help digesting. It was fun to see the feed get fluffy and bubble. But it's ALREADY formulated to meet the need of most birds... and many feeds even have probiotics added already even without fancy advertising.

If you're gonna add raw ACV... add it to the water instead of the feed maybe. To me there is a balance point... if they don't need the help, it's just wasting resources really. The same is true for excess protein... it gets excreted as extra smelly waste.

Sorry, I don't mean to be picky... just mean to share information... :oops:
Oh well I'm not open for a discussion on Silkie needs. 😂
I do what works for my Birds. I only asked a question which I guess I shouldn't have..🤷‍♀️

First, thank you for the inciteful discussion in regards to Silkies health and the thought process on the feed.
I just have to say wow. I never realized how much everyone can become so passionate about a topic, it's always appreciated and wonderful to see how much their flocks mean to them.
That being said, I'm not here to ruffle any feathers and have been working on research on the various topics that have come to light after this post. My goal is to have healthy happy animals as they have become a wonderful part if our household. (I came home from work to see my dearly SO asleep next to our hurt baby silkie boy).
As of right now, we have been feeding a chick starter feed(our oldest 1 is polish is about 9 months, we have 1 silkie rooster at 7 and the other 5 silkies are between 4-6 months.) and they hardly touch anything other than meal worms (they pick at them for few seconds then leave the majority alone). I've never had such selective eaters before! It's been a challenge but worth every moment.

can you use organic pellets by Purina to ferment or does it have to be special feed? Ty

Try a small batch of fermented feed and see how the chickens like it.

Measure about one cup of feed for each chicken you have. Pour warm water (filtered if you can) over the dry feed until it's just covered. Add a tablespoon of ACV to jump start it, and place in a warm place like you would bread dough to rise.

After an hour stir. At this time you can add more feed or more water to get the consistency that you want. I find chickens like a bread dough consistency over a soupy one. The first ferment should be ready to feed in about 24 to 30 hours. You'll know it's ready when it fluffs up and smells pleasantly yeasty.

You make more by repeating the above directions, but instead of ACV, you add a fourth of a cup of the first batch to it, as you would when making sourdough bread.

It's that easy.

One thing to watch for is whether they can see their feed. You might need to trim or tape up their crests. Check with the breeder of your birds, if possible, to learn what they feed.

Back
Top Bottom