Additive to water for chicks?

Hdagostino

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2021
Is there a type of additive to add to chicks water?
I recall hearing about this as a powder. Is it a vitamin, supplement, antibiotic or other?

Do you use this product their entire lives? First six months year?

Thank you!

I am getting a silver willamette, Easter egger and 3 buffs (all sexed) females 5-6 weeks at the end of March.

Super excited

Are you getting pullets? If they're chicks just know hatcheries generally have a 80% accuracy in sexed chicks!! Something I had to learn the hard way :')

And there is some stuff you can add to the water, although it isn't required. Some people add electrolytes like Save-A-Chick, but it's not needed especially if your chicks arrive to you healthy and happy!

Also! Just so you know, the buffs you're getting, buff is actually a color! (think "black lab", black is the color, lab is the breed, theres also golden and chocolate labs!) Buff Orpingtons are super common but people also breed a ton of other colors (such as the famous lavender orpingtons!) it took me a while to figure that out when I first got into chickens ^^" Good luck with your wyandottes, EE's and buff orps! thats a mighty fine selection! I personally would have chosen more EE's but I'm addicted to them haha!

As stated above, Sav-A-Chick is a brand that has various probiotics and electrolytes for chicks, but they’re not really necessary unless your chicks are weak or having problems. It’s still nice to have some just in case though. You can buy it online or at a local feed store, and no you don’t give it to them their entire lives, I believe it’s until 16 weeks that you stop giving itto them.

Thank you all for your reply’s
I am getting buff Orpingtons b/c it was recommended for someone looking for a pet more than eggs. Also a Salmon “French chicken type” was recommended but I can only find them available at one day old and I am way too much of a novice for that.

what do you all recommend for a BY chicken that’s more pet than “egg layer?”

I swear by NutriDrench. I mix it in their water for as long as they are in the brooder - just enough to it looks like weak tea. I think that between that and a mama hearing pad/no extra lighting, I never had chick with pasty butt. None of the chickens I've raised from chicks have not been ill in the 3 years I've had them (knock on wood!!!) other than fowl pox and a few cases of bumblefoot.

Thank you all for your reply’s
I am getting buff Orpingtons b/c it was recommended for someone looking for a pet more than eggs. Also a Salmon “French chicken type” was recommended but I can only find them available at one day old and I am way too much of a novice for that.

what do you all recommend for a BY chicken that’s more pet than “egg layer?”
Basically most chickens. The "avoid" list is shorter so I'll put that here (mostly my opinion but I'll explain why)

Avoid-
1. Thinner bodied, white egg layers (ex. Leghorn, Fayoumi, Campine, Buttercup) because while there's ALWAYS exceptions these birds tend to be more wild, and more flighty.
2. Roosters. I've loved my roosters, even the ones who are absolute jerks. But I'll be dead honest, boy can it be easy without them. Especially in a suburban situation where they're not really protecting your flock from say a predator and you've got neighbors, it's easier on you, the ladies and your neighborhood to avoid roosters, especially if you're new to chickens. Roosters are pretty, but they can be a handful sometimes.
3. Meat Birds. Cornish Cross / Cornish X. I don't care what the threads on here say about them keeping cornish X past butcher date, don't go out and buy them as pets. It'll be MUCH easier for you and the bird in the long run, leave the meat chicks to someone whose ready to grow and eat them properly. Yes it's possible for them to live just fine lives past butcher date, yes some even lay eggs, but it'll be easier for backyard pet chickens.

One day old chickens are not that difficult honestly : D the harder part (hatching) has been done for you! I find started pullets can be a little skittish, I like growing our own chicks cause we get to bond with them from day one (or day three, all depends haha)

Breeds id reccomend... I love my cochins. My easter eggers are insanely fun, I of obviously love my cochins/ee crosses too hahaha! Orpingtons and Plymouth Rocks tend to be fairly common starter breeds, honestly a lot of people just go to the feedstore and get one of each. I kinda like that cause even though most people can tell them apart, it's easier to tell them apart and c'mon who doesnt want one of each ;D haha! Keep in mind, chickens are addicting lol

Back
Top Bottom