Addressing muddy run without roof

My husband built a lovely big coop for our 5 hens which we call the "Taj Mahal" and most of the time it has been ideal despite being made of galvanised iron.
However, we discovered over this last summer which was uncharacteristically hot that it had maintained the daytime heat and the poor chooks suffered at night. We were so concerned we purchase a water cooler for the coop which I continuously filled with ice and water. That certainly helped as I ran it all day. When the heat was unbearable I put a sprinkler on the tin roof.
Reading your posts made me realise we should have used frosted plastic sheets. That material is called Alsanite sheeting in Australia.
I'm considering asking my husband to change the tin roof to Alsanite.
So helpful to learn from other's experiences.
Thank you Backyard chickens

The last time I was in Texas the sun was pretty intense. I'd say a roof is better than no roof metal or otherwise if you have plenty of ventilation. It's a run it shouldn't be a problem trapping heat, but maybe you can pick up a cheap solar fan if you're concerned about air flow. As for the floor I use straw, but not sure if you have access to that.

My husband built a lovely big coop for our 5 hens which we call the "Taj Mahal" and most of the time it has been ideal despite being made of galvanised iron.
However, we discovered over this last summer which was uncharacteristically hot that it had maintained the daytime heat and the poor chooks suffered at night. We were so concerned we purchase a water cooler for the coop which I continuously filled with ice and water. That certainly helped as I ran it all day. When the heat was unbearable I put a sprinkler on the tin roof.
Reading your posts made me realise we should have used frosted plastic sheets. That material is called Alsanite sheeting in Australia.
I'm considering asking my husband to change the tin roof to Alsanite.
So helpful to learn from other's experiences.
Thank you Backyard chickens
Putting a plywood "ceiling" up might help to dissipate the heat.

Hello from Dallas! Our chicken run is currently covered with wooden framing with inset wire panels and when it rains like it does here, we are left with a muddy mess.

We’ve considered adding corrugated roofing to cover the run but I’m worried that will create a heat problem in our 100+ degree summer. I’m picturing a green house effect that roasts my chickens but I’m paranoid 😂. Does this have any effect on run temperature?

Outside of that, we would like to add wood chips to the dirt floor. What’s most available here is coarse pine or cedar mulch/chips or mixed hardwood that is unknown wood type but untreated. Are any of these safe to use? I’ve read conflicting info on wood type, specifically cedar.
our metal roofing panels (ordered right from home depot) are perfect, water tight and reflect the sun. We put a ridge cap at the peak and used roofing nails with a neoprene washer. It looks nice too! Highly recommend.

I use a fan in my coop. I just run an extension cord to the coop from the side of the house.
I agree that a fan is a great way to cool them off and keep air circulating. Other ideas for some of the folks out there are ice cubes in the water and my girls favorite, corn ice cubes (not in the water) but in a bowl for them to pick at and cool off at same time. And finally, don't minimize shade. If you don't have a roof, put a tarp over part of the top to give cooling shade and protection from sun.

Hello from Dallas! Our chicken run is currently covered with wooden framing with inset wire panels and when it rains like it does here, we are left with a muddy mess.

We’ve considered adding corrugated roofing to cover the run but I’m worried that will create a heat problem in our 100+ degree summer. I’m picturing a green house effect that roasts my chickens but I’m paranoid 😂. Does this have any effect on run temperature?

Outside of that, we would like to add wood chips to the dirt floor. What’s most available here is coarse pine or cedar mulch/chips or mixed hardwood that is unknown wood type but untreated. Are any of these safe to use? I’ve read conflicting info on wood type, specifically cedar.
Some where I read to use palletized horse bedding, which we have used for years as our one property had water issues and this was a fabulous solution. When the pellets get wet they become a very fine saw dust absorbing the water. When it dries our girls use it to dust bathe in. It helped to had height to our run as well keeping it from getting muddy in the at all anymore. We did this when we moved to my husbansds family farm as well. We use it in the hen house under the perches along with fine pine shavings and sweet PDZ horse stall odor controll. The hen house rarely smells. And I prefer the deep litter method in the winter so this was a game changer for us.
Good luck!

Some where I read to use palletized horse bedding, which we have used for years as our one property had water issues and this was a fabulous solution. When the pellets get wet they become a very fine saw dust absorbing the water. When it dries our girls use it to dust bathe in. It helped to had height to our run as well keeping it from getting muddy in the at all anymore. We did this when we moved to my husbansds family farm as well. We use it in the hen house under the perches along with fine pine shavings and sweet PDZ horse stall odor controll. The hen house rarely smells. And I prefer the deep litter method in the winter so this was a game changer for us.
Good luck!
I mispelled! Its Pelletized horse bedding. It can be bought at Tractor Supply.

Back
Top Bottom