Ador vs ChickenGuard vs Omlet door

I have the Chickenguard self locking door. Installed outside on a solid wall inside a covered run. I've only had it for 2 months, but so far so good....no issues. Temp has been in the single digits. I work 2nd shift & get very little sleep. I love having it, as I can sleep in a bit longer....if im lucky.
I've seen a youtube video showing it installed in wire fencing. It was attached to a simple 2x4 frame & the fencing was stapled? To the frame.
I almost went with a swing out door instead of a guillotine, but where it needed to be installed wouldn't allow for it.
Good luck with whatever you decide on.

I have been using the Omlet automatic door for the past 13 months. It was easy to install on a wood panel, cutting the hole to the measurements in the instructions. Battery life is great - after a year it’s still at 80%. I have it on timer, which is pretty easy to programme once you‘ve got the hang of it. I tried the light sensor a couple of times but it was just a little too quick to close and I ended up with two in and one (the straggler) left out, so I just programme it as and when daylight changes. I may be able to overcome this problem by shifting the light sensor to the other side of the coop but I haven’t given this a try yet.

Be aware of where & how you set it. If it's on automatic with daylight..... Streetlights, turning on a yard light (even a neighbors) or headlights from a vehicle could trigger it to open. This did not happen to me, but I've read it can happen. Mine is set on it's timer setting.

I have been using the Omlet automatic door for the past 13 months. It was easy to install on a wood panel, cutting the hole to the measurements in the instructions. Battery life is great - after a year it’s still at 80%. I have it on timer, which is pretty easy to programme once you‘ve got the hang of it. I tried the light sensor a couple of times but it was just a little too quick to close and I ended up with two in and one (the straggler) left out, so I just programme it as and when daylight changes. I may be able to overcome this problem by shifting the light sensor to the other side of the coop but I haven’t given this a try yet.
Try setting the timer to 10 minutes after last light. My chickens are usually in the coop before last light. The 10 minutes gives them the extra time to get inside and get settled. I look up the last light on my phone. Right now it's starting to get lighter out longer by 5 minutes a week, so I change the time when necessary.
I love the door also. It is a great investment!!

Try setting the timer to 10 minutes after last light. My chickens are usually in the coop before last light. The 10 minutes gives them the extra time to get inside and get settled. I look up the last light on my phone. Right now it's starting to get lighter out longer by 5 minutes a week, so I change the time when necessary.
I love the door also. It is a great investment!!
Would love to hear your opinion if you have any of these automatic doors. I’ve narrowed my selection down to these three because they are reliable according to reviews, they can be programmed, and aesthetics. I’ll be installing it into hardware cloth, so I’ll make a frame. Not sure if I can do this with the Chicken Guard. I saw that I can with the other two. Thoughts?​
-Ador automatic door​
-Chicken Guard​
-Omlet auto door.​
I have had an Ador automatic door for two years & it has been very reliable. Usually set it on light sensor with the last girl delay. Was concerned that streetlight might trigger it, but not a problem at all. The geared system holds the door shut plus it has a lip at the bottom to prevent prying it up.

Some auto door systems, DIY & store bought, just lower a door, which keeps chickens in but wouldn’t keep a raccoon etc. out. We need predator protection.

We are using the battery, but it can be configured with solar, which is a nice option.

Speaking of options, how well does the Omlet preclosing light work?

I have the omlet and it's worked perfectly! I have it on the light sensor setting with delay, and none of the girls have been locked out yet (aside from when the sensor was covered in snow and therefor closed too early)!

Back
Top Bottom