Advice/Assistance/Information ~ in other words I need HELP!

IMLadyHawke

In the Brooder
May 5, 2024
I AM IN URGENT NEED OF ADVICE/INFORMATION!
I have a Canada Goose pair (Zeus & Ophelia) with 5 Goslings on my pond. It is their 4th yr here & it is their 3rd clutch.

A friend gave me a gosling, basically the same age (1.5 weeks) to see if my pair would adopt it, the original parents of this gosling rejected it.

I put it with Zeus, Ophelia & their goslings, & originally it seemed they had accepted it. Within approximately 10 minutes Zeus &
some of the goslings started attacking it. Seems they will not accept it either.

What to do next. I currently have it in a dog crate in my basement with a small heater running. I already had Goose/Gosling food so gave it some and some water.

Is it possible there is something wrong with this gosling bc both pairs rejected it? I can’t just put it out with my pair on the pond, I am concerned they will kill it.
HELP PLEASE! I am sincerely grateful for any advice anyone has to offer.

Last edited:
:welcome Is there any possibility of penning it near the pair with goslings? Hopefully they will warm up to it and stop regarding it as a 'stranger/competitor'. This has worked for me with domestic geese.
Thank you! I believe that may be possible. I have it in a large dog crate in my basement just now. I could move it to the pond area, as close to the nest as possible (it is on a platform on the pond, we built it for our returning pair) & see how it goes. Hawks, Fox, Eagles are predators so the crate will keep it safe at least.

Much as I dislike "making with those negative waves" the fact that parents and foster parents have both slung the poor chap out doesn't bode well for future attempts at integration.
The few instances I've seen of geese with goslings; I share in the care of geese currently and have in the past, top male hasn't been a very nice chap to his wives or the kids. Maybe I've been unlucky and not had the pleasure of the aquaintance of the better behaved.

All the above leads up to this one piece of advice; if a chick gets rejected by it's parents, be that abandoned partially hatched, weak and unable to keep up, injured in the first few days, then the best thing to do for everybodies sake apart from the poor chick of course, is to kill it.
Sorry to be so blunt and seem so heartless, I'm not honestly. I'm giving you advice that I believe serves everyones best interests.

I am a foster for the wildlife rehab/refuge. I want to try everything anyone can think of before putting it down. I am looking for ideas that I haven’t thought of, 2 heads are better than 1, more in this case will always be better. I want to give this innocent every opportunity at survival rather than death.

Back
Top Bottom