Advice for first hatchlings

TTeddy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Avon Valley, Western Australia
Hi,
I have a pair of Saxony Bantams and just the other day, after many days of waiting, she had all eggs hatch. Eight of them!
On day two I wasn't home, but my daughter and son were and they were given instructions on what to do.
On that day there was a bad storm. Strong winds and rain. I was worried about them.
Day three: Daughter rings and tells me that one had died. They would keep checking on them form then on.
Day four: I come home. When I entered the pen, I first noticed one of them looked injured. Then when I counted them, there were another two missing. After searching the pen I found one dead, but I still haven't found the other. After examining the dead one I would say that it died from the cold.

The injured one I have bought inside. It has been scalped some how (all feathers gone from a patch on the back of the head) and it's right eye never looked normal either.
I have been looking after it all day now. It is feeding really well and it's eye has opened up again.
I don't want to put it back out there, exposing it to infection and I don't really want to keep it either. Mainly because I'm afraid mum will reject it. So I think I will keep it isolated until it is 100% healed.
What do you think happened to it?
What would you do?
Am I doing the right thing looking after it?
I don't want to lose another one
sad.png

This little one is attached to me already (seems to be quiet and comfortable when I'm near it).

It is eating a lot better than the ones still with the mum. How often should I feed them. I'm giving them fresh food 3- 4 times a day.

When I was out observing how the mother is looking after them, one of the ducklings had it's foot stuck underneath dad's big foot. It was trying to pull it out, but couldn't and it started to chirp loudly. The mother turned around and had a go at it, twice, and then it just stood there all quiet. Sounds like a typical mum telling her kid off huh? But I'm wondering if it was her that did this to this poor lil duckling.
idunno.gif

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Time to scoop up the babies, get them into a warm brooder, and relieve ducky parents from responsibility.

They don't all turn out to be good mothers, especially on the first go, and drakes often kill ducklings. They seem to be clueless.

Once the ducklings are of a good size (just about grown) they can be slowly reintroduced to the parents.

Last edited:
I've removed them all. I don't have a brooder. Are they a necessity? can I have an alternative? (Something I'd have around the house, which is nothing!) It's not really cold in the house. It's summer here now
cool.png

Time to scoop up the babies, get them into a warm brooder, and relieve ducky parents from responsibility.

They don't all turn out to be good mothers, especially on the first go, and drakes often kill ducklings. They seem to be clueless.

Once the ducklings are of a good size (just about grown) they can be slowly reintroduced to the parents.

I completely agree with everything said. Some are just no good at mothering, my duck in my Avatar killed several babies this year...

I used an old wooden ship crate for a brooder lol many use a large rubbermaid tote. GL!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom