Advice needed: hatching eggs with broody silkie

squidomelet

In the Brooder
May 5, 2024
I noticed that one of our hen’s eggs has either pipped or had an accident. I’m unsure whether to remove the egg or not where there is this dried green liquid on it. There is no smell or sounds coming from the egg.

I called the veterinary hospital and reception couldn’t get in contact with their farm team so they said it would “probably be best to remove it”. I went ahead and candled it just in case and there is still movement inside the egg. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do next or how I could help this egg? I put it back under mom but also want to make sure I’m not exposing the other eggs and live chicks to any harmful bacteria.

First chick hatched late Friday morning and the next one hatched yesterday morning. She still has 4 eggs under her. Hen is a silkie showgirl (stripper… Has a naked neck). This is her first hatch as far as we know. We just took her and her mate in a few months ago. We live in Canada and temps have been around freezing at night. Brought mother, chicks, and unhatched eggs inside today.

IMG_9957.png

Back
Top Bottom