Advice needed.

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hi everyone,

I recently ordered eight chicks at Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell, Idaho, which are as follows:

2 Ameraucanas
1 Rhode Island Red
1 Austra White
1 Amber White
1 Barred Plymouth Rock
1 Buff Orpington
1 Golden Sex Link

We picked up the order yesterday, and got them in the Brooder, but we realized when we picked them up that there were actually 13 chicks. They gave me five extra. I can’t tell the breeds of the ones that are extra, all I know is that I’ve got one extra Barred Plymouth Rock, and one extra Rhode Island Red, I think.

We verified that the order was the right one. They said “we included some extra free of charge so they could stay warm on the drive home.”

I know that at least 8 of them are female, but I’m not sure if the other five are male or not.

I don’t wanna be a nuisance to my neighbors because of roosters, so what do I do if I find out that some of those five are males? Any way of knowing which chicks are males?

Also, this is a longshot, but here is one of the extras. I can’t tell what breed it is, but it’s the only one in my brooder like it. Is there anyway of knowing what breed it is? If not, that’s OK.

IMG_3048.jpeg

Any advice on what to do with males will be appreciated.

Jared

Thanks for letting me know.
No problem. They do have it in that forum now, so hopefully you may get a bit more help that way!

Oh, and what I do with excess males is post them in one or more of the poultry groups I'm in on Facebook. I have really good luck there. Once I tried Craigslist as someone suggested it. It worked but I prefer FB to that.

No problem. They do have it in that forum now, so hopefully you may get a bit more help that way!

Oh, and what I do with excess males is post them in one or more of the poultry groups I'm in on Facebook. I have really good luck there. Once I tried Craigslist as someone suggested it. It worked but I prefer FB to that.

No offense, but I was a victim of cyber bullying a long time ago for a very long time. I’m very hesitant about going onto Facebook. However, my community is mostly members of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints, and a lot of them are farmers. I could ask around and see if any want a rooster.

I appreciate the help a lot. I’ve mostly been on the thread. “Any home bakers here?” I haven’t raised chickens in years, and I’ve kind of forgotten my way around this part of the forum.

No offense, but I was a victim of cyber bullying a long time ago for a very long time. I’m very hesitant about going onto Facebook. However, my community is mostly members of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints, and a lot of them are farmers. I could ask around and see if any want a rooster.

I appreciate the help a lot. I’ve mostly been on the thread. “Any home bakers here?” I haven’t raised chickens in years, and I’ve kind of forgotten my way around this part of the forum.
FB doesn't tolerate that so if anyone gets sassy with me, I report them and block them. There are way too many pompous people in those chicken groups that think they know more than someone who actually raises chickens as I highly doubt most of them do.

I'd make a fresh new account, just for joining some chicken groups in your area.

Any advice on what to do with males will be appreciated.
My preferred method: raise the males long enough to be sure which ones they are, then make plans for butchering day. You can eat them at any age or size. Younger ones are smaller and more tender, older ones are bigger and more likely to be tough (so cook old ones into something like soup.)

My preferred method: raise the males long enough to be sure which ones they are, then make plans for butchering day. You can eat them at any age or size. Younger ones are smaller and more tender, older ones are bigger and more likely to be tough (so cook old ones into something like soup.)

Thanks a bunch. That’s what I figured.

Back
Top Bottom