Advice on bio security and new hens

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Hello

I’m sorry if I’m repeating a question but can’t specifically find an answer.

I’m getting a few new hens, I’ve had the worst luck in the past after foolishly buying from what I thought was a reputable breeder, the hens had suspected mycroplasma and two of them died and the rest of my flock I thought I was going to loose but by some miracle they pulled through.

The new hens I am getting is because I have 3 current hens and I’m worried in future if one is left on their own.

The breeder I’m getting the new hens from has vaccinated against mareks and Newcastle and has said she has given the hens a live vaccine against mycroplasma but that this does not offer 100% protection as she said it’s like the flu vaccine they may have a strain that’s not un the vaccine.

I’ve made a quarantine coop about 30 feet from my current hens, but it’s not safe for over night so they will be in a nest box about 10/12 foot from my current girls, my plan is to put the new hens in the closer nest box at night only so they will not be out in the open near my current girls. I’ve got tylan from my vet and I intend to keep the girls in the isolation coop for 4 weeks then would move them to the new run that is 6ft away from current girls after this
If everything is ok.

if it was mycroplasma I want to disinfect the actual run floor before I let the new hens out, I’ve used virkon and Interkokask RTU

My question is can I use VIRKON solution on the run which I’ll move the girls to in 4 weeks, the floor is soil, I wanted to make sure if I spray it now it’s not toxic to the girls when they go in pecking and scratching on the floor

Is it ok that they are sleeping in a confined nest box 10ft away from the other nest box shall I put tarpaulin over the nest box (not over the ventilation holes) to be safe

Shall I automatically give all hens the tylan or keep them on a multivitamin and keep tylan incase needed ?

Thanks so much for any advice

I can't answer all your question but I do have a couple thoughts.

If I understand your post correctly your current flock has gone through mycoplasma? If so they should be considered carriers (they still have the bacteria in their body, but not enough to be sick) and any new birds you bring in will be exposed so I'm not sure there is really a need to disinfect (and I don't know whether it's safe to spray the soil). Whether or not the new birds fall ill would depend on their overall health and whether the vaccine is effective. Also any stressful events (or dips in their immune systems for other reasons) could cause your flock to relapse and become sick again.

I'm also a firm believer in NOT giving antibiotics to healthy birds. It's a waste of money and can lead to antibiotic resistance. Only treat sick birds.

Sorry you've had a rough go of it and I hope integrating the new birds goes well.

Back
Top Bottom