Advice on Bluebird nests?

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
I have a couple old bluebird nest boxes which I've ignored for a few years.
Yesterday, I was surprised to see a bluebird visit one and return several times, never going in, just peeking in and checking things out I guess.

Is it too late to clean out the box? What if it has already started building a nest on top of whatever was in there? I don't want to spook it away by messing with it, but I don't want to discourage future bluebird visits.

Any bluebird experts in BYC? Would love your advice!
Thanks.

Technically and generally since bluebirds are covered by migratory bird acts, laws, legislation (whatever you want to call it) you are not supposed to disturb the nests even if no birds are around and it isn't the nesting season. Some laws are just too general for their own good. And there are exceptions.

As long as it looks like they haven't started building a new nest I would go ahead and clean out the box. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot of Lysol or something like Lysol to kill any lingering pests.

I have a bluebird box right outside my back door that has been occupied for the last 8 years. I cant tell you how many babies have been raised in there. One year I had 5 batches hatched in there! Once a pair sets up shop, its very difficult to get rid of them. They are very territorial, and will come back every year, and bring their kids with them. This winter I had flocks of over 20 bluebirds visiting; Im sure all were family from the years before. Go ahead and clean out the box, they'll start over again.

I would go ahead and clean it out then clean it with something safe with no strong odor like simple green or vinger water. If the odor of the cleaner is to strong they may not nest because of it.

Thank you all!
I'll go open it and clean it out right now, unless they started a nest and all looks OK.
Let you know what I find!

Back
Top Bottom