Advice on Firearms

DrakeMaiden

Overrun with Drakes
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
Kitsap County, WA
I'm considering getting one for personal protection.

While I hope to never have to use a gun, beyond learning HOW to use it, I'd like to know what the bottom line is . . . at what point is it legal to shoot someone in self-defense? Or maybe it isn't ever legal, but at what point is it seen as justifiable by the law?

Fire away (with comments that is). LOL

I would like to say taht I LOVE guns. I have many and we go out and target practice all the time. I am a firm believer in guns, that's what our country was established with. I also think it is important for women to be comfortable with and around guns, even if she isn't crazy about them. Any fool that believes guns need to be outlawed is just simply not familiar with them or doesn't like them to begin with. Here in my state, you have the right to defend yourself and your home from intruders. I have never had to shoot anybody, but there have been a couple of times I had my gun tucked in the back of my pants because I thought I was going to need it. Having a firearm should make you more careful and not more careless. Once you pull the trigger whatever is in that bullet's path will be no more. We hunt a lot too for several different game animals, and that is the first thing in my mind before I pull the trigger, "where is this bullet going to land if I should miss". There are a lot of hunting related deaths here in my state because someone found it more important to shoot an animal than to see where the bullet went. If you are a newcomer to guns, you can start out small until you get familiar with your gun and work your way up to a bigger one if so desired. Your local gun shop or pawn shop will be able to help you out with different guns recoil and loudness and such. Heck, if you were close by you could come try out just about any gun you wanted too. Good luck.

I think the laws vary from state to state, so I would check your local ones.

If you are not familiar with guns, try to find a friend or range where you can try several different ones.

I would highly recommend that you get a copy of the book "In the Gravest Extreme - The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection" by Massad F. Ayoob. It is packed with great information, from not only a legal standpoint, but an ethical one also. Then consider a basic handgun course, followed by a personal protection firearms course.

The personal protection course, in your state, should give you the knowledge of the laws in your state.

Mark

Quote:
Here in Florida, It's legal to kill when in "fear of your life"
Hard to say what that is! Most shoot first then ask, a round here!
Not as many trouble makers, at least round here!

Thank you all of you! I appreciate the detailed advice, esp. from Mark.

KristenH, I wish I did live close to you, because I'd love to know someone with as much experience.

I found out that Washington is a "stand your ground" state, so the law is somewhat leniant about self-defense. Actually, I was surprised at how easy it would be to obtain a gun.

It varies from state to state. But certain guns are illegal to even own while others are legal with certain stipulations. Also you need to apply for and qualify for a firearm permit. And a handgun permit is separate from a longarm permit. At least in this state, that might vary from state to state also. And it's also a good idea to have a gun safe, most especially if you have children or there are even any children in the family. Just be prepared when you apply for the permit for a thorough background check by the local police & then the FBI, then your local police chief needs to sign off on it, at least that's the way it's done here in Jersey. Takes about 4-6 weeks. All this before you can even begin working on buying one. And then from state to state you need to know the laws on how to carry, whether concealment is a violation, blah blah. Hope this helps!

goldensunriseranch -- it sounds like it is very complicated in NJ. What I read for WA, it is just a 5 day wait and you only need a permit for a concealed weapon. I won't plan on buying without all my facts sorted out though. No kids in the immediate family, but that IS something important to consider anyway.
smile.png

Well probably more complicated here since we border New York City & Philly. If it was way easier here than the city to get a gun we'd have all the wanna be mobsters buying here I suppose! I know Delaware to our south is much more lax, or at least used to be.

Drakemaiden -

You've gotten some great advice. And good for you for doing your research on such a hotly debated topic.

I've always lived in western states where firearms rule the land. Here in Alaska it's almost sacreligious not to own and know how to shoot a gun. I'm a woman and I spend a lot of time working in the backcountry so I carry a 12 guage shotgun with slugs for personal protection.

Sounds like you've got your legal research taken care of as far as actually purchasing a weapon. Are you planning on just having the gun in your house or will you carry it in your car or on your person? If you will EVER have it in your car or on your person, go through the process of getting a concealed weapon permit. Too many people have gotten busted for concealed weapons in routine traffic stops because they had tossed a coat or bag over what they considered an un-concealed weapon. You will also find the training and study for the concealed carry permit to be quite informative.

For personal protection your best bet is a medium-sized handgun. You don't want something too big for you to handle, but you also don't want something so small that it won't do the job. I've had law officers tell me a number of times that if you are going to shoot, shoot to kill. If you don't there's always the chance of the attacker suing you for personal injury or declaring their innocence.

I also second going to the range with your weapon of choice. And don't do it just once. Go a couple times a year so you are certain you are familiar with your weapon. You may find you enjoy shooting too. If you do, and you want to branch out into other areas, contact a local chapter of the NRA. They have some fabulous women's shooting programs. I love to shoot, I just can't afford the ammo anymore!

Also, since you don't have children in your home you don't have to run out and buy a gun safe immediately. All firearms anymore are sold with a trigger lock or some other lock system that prevents the weapon from being fired. Use this and keep the keys somewhere else.

Best of luck!

Erin

Back
Top Bottom