Advice on low watt Brooder Lamps

Ms Kurtis

Chirping
Oct 10, 2020
I want to buy some chicks, but need to keep them inside. My QUESTION: What type of heat bulb can I use besides incandescent 250 watt? My house is on 125 amp box and I'm running electric heating units as it is, so I don't want to overload the electric capacity of my house and also want to save on electricity throughout the winter as the chicks grow big enough to put into my chicken barn and run. PS The chicks will be in my small utility room that I don't have heat in, so gets pretty chilly much of the time, but I do have a plug for a lamp wire.

I want to buy some chicks, but need to keep them inside. My QUESTION: What type of heat bulb can I use besides incandescent 250 watt? My house is on 125 amp box and I'm running electric heating units as it is, so I don't want to overload the electric capacity of my house and also want to save on electricity throughout the winter as the chicks grow big enough to put into my chicken barn and run. PS The chicks will be in my small utility room that I don't have heat in, so gets pretty chilly much of the time, but I do have a plug for a lamp wire.
Check into brooder plates. They are more like a mother hen and work very well.

They also use a lot less electricity and will pay for themselves over time.
Premier1 sells a very good model in different sizes

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...7Sfjj6iV_dysW5HktdavkyH6SIjLhMLQaAvAbEALw_wcB

I see that tsc sells one too but I have not used it

In addition to the advice above, I'm not sure what your brooder setup is like, but you can get lower wattage bulbs which might help. 175 watt, some people use a regular 100 watt lightbulb. My brooder is in an area of my house which sometimes gets warm, sometimes cool. I use a red 40w reptile bulb in my lamp.

There are heating options for 40w. Much depends on the area and number of chickens. Look at my selection of heaters https://prestigequeen.com/best-chicken-coop-heater/

Back
Top Bottom