Afraid of the dark?

chaoticgoodcoop

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2023
I have 6 chickens: 4 silkies, an olive egger and a marans. They were all raised together as babies and all get along very well. As babies their brooder was in my basement, which us never completely dark because i leave a small light on for the cat and her litter box. APPARENTLY my birds got too used to it. Two of the silkies will not go into the hen house at night without a nightlight. I have an omlet automatic door that has a safety feature which makes sure it doesn't close if something is blocking it. Every night, instead of allowing my auto door to do it's job, I have two options: place the lantern inside the coop, or push two fluffy butts all the way into the hen house. They will just stand at the top with their little bums sticking out and the door will not close! I currently really don't mind because I am always home at night, but I would love it if I did not have to worry if I went overnight somewhere! Anyone dealt with this before? The other four are completely fine!

They should go to roost before it gets too dark. What does your coop look like? Windows? Enough ventilation? How warm is it in there?

There's always a reason they don't wish to go in. Chickens should feel safe in the coop.

If everything is good than sometimes young ones need to be chased inside for a while if there is no adults to show them. Keep putting them in until they do it themselves.

Back
Top Bottom