African goose genders?

Brooke_R

Crowing
Sep 15, 2020
I got these two geese yesterday and they’re a little over a year old. I was told one was a boy and one was a girl but they seem so alike I want to make sure. Here’s videos and pictures each goose. What do y’all this each one is?

Goose #1:

Goose #2:

Goose #1 is on the left and goose #2 is on the right.
4F935445-FA6A-4004-B26D-F36EFFFA32AC.jpeg

Males tend to have longer necks in proportion to females, females often have a lower paunch than males and a poofy looking back end.
The problem is if there’s a chance that two geese could be the same gender it’s easy to notice false signs of either gender.
Africans are tricky for me because I’ve never raised them, mine are all greylag based breeds, but going off what I do know, Chinese types tend to have longer necks then greylag types so Africans could have long looking necks even for females.
In the second picture the goose to the front kinda looks like a gander, the second loooks like it could possibly be a gander too, but I’m less sure, it could be a girl...maybe?

Males tend to have longer necks in proportion to females, females often have a lower paunch than males and a poofy looking back end.
The problem is if there’s a chance that two geese could be the same gender it’s easy to notice false signs of either gender.
Africans are tricky for me because I’ve never raised them, mine are all greylag based breeds, but going off what I do know, Chinese types tend to have longer necks then greylag types so Africans could have long looking necks even for females.
In the second picture the goose to the front kinda looks like a gander, the second loooks like it could possibly be a gander too, but I’m less sure, it could be a girl...maybe?
Oh okay thank you! I hope they’re not both boys because I have ducks. I don’t want them to try and mate with them. Did the videos upload? I got both of their voices in them but it’s the first time I’ve tried to post videos 😅

Oh okay thank you! I hope they’re not both boys because I have ducks. I don’t want them to try and mate with them. Did the videos upload? I got both of their voices in them but it’s the first time I’ve tried to post videos 😅
The videos uploaded, though I can’t tell because I’m unfamiliar with African/Chinese breeds voices.

Truthfully having two ganders, a gander and goose, or two female goose won’t alter wether they try to breed with the ducks or turn hostile to them.
Geese can be tricky because they’re such individuals, some do fine around ducks, others hate ducks, and some are varying degrees of tolerant towards them. Their relationship can change too. I had two ganders who were best friends with my ducks, but the ducks kept starting drama, and things changed for the worse.
Females will also mount and “breed” other females, so you’re not even safe in that regard.

The videos uploaded, though I can’t tell because I’m unfamiliar with African/Chinese breeds voices.

Truthfully having two ganders, a gander and goose, or two female goose won’t alter wether they try to breed with the ducks or turn hostile to them.
Geese can be tricky because they’re such individuals, some do fine around ducks, others hate ducks, and some are varying degrees of tolerant towards them. Their relationship can change too. I had two ganders who were best friends with my ducks, but the ducks kept starting drama, and things changed for the worse.
Females will also mount and “breed” other females, so you’re not even safe in that regard.
Oh okay. That makes me feel better as long as they get along 😅

Just tought I wood add if you have a girl once they are settled in you should see a egg in the next 6 to 8 weeks even sooner. They do look like the production African's they are less curvy in the neck than a Chinese. My production Africans (have 2 girls) are really hard to tell sex by stance neck length ect. One of them acts like a male and looks like one but she lays eggs. both thous girls started laying at 10 months. this year laid a few already. They are very nice looking geese. The one in the back in the picture could be a girl. and if you have a pair she will be the follower and the boy will brobably alway be the first to greet you.

Goose #1 is definitely a boy. Goose #2 looks like it could be a girl, but not 100%. The video does not help me determine 2nd goose voice.

Agree that two boys will get along well, and if they were hatched/raised from same clutch, they will be best friends for life, even if they get into sibling squabbles from time to time.

Just tought I wood add if you have a girl once they are settled in you should see a egg in the next 6 to 8 weeks even sooner. They do look like the production African's they are less curvy in the neck than a Chinese. My production Africans (have 2 girls) are really hard to tell sex by stance neck length ect. One of them acts like a male and looks like one but she lays eggs. both thous girls started laying at 10 months. this year laid a few already. They are very nice looking geese. The one in the back in the picture could be a girl. and if you have a pair she will be the follower and the boy will brobably alway be the first to greet you.
Thank you!

Goose #1 is definitely a boy. Goose #2 looks like it could be a girl, but not 100%. The video does not help me determine 2nd goose voice.

Agree that two boys will get along well, and if they were hatched/raised from same clutch, they will be best friends for life, even if they get into sibling squabbles from time to time.
Okay thank you! I really hope one is a girl

Back
Top Bottom